Please Help With My 99 Gs400

Hi all,

I am new to the Lexus world, and I am facing a concern. I purchased my 99 GS400 four weeks ago and the car ran great...as a matter of fact I love it. However during the last 2 weeks the car will not start. Headlights turn on, radio on, dash will illuminate - but nothing from the engine. No clicking, no turn over.

After less then 5 minutes the car starts right up.

Other times the car starts right up acting as if there . ??

Please help!

Sounds like the starter is going out or maybe something with the chip in the key. Is there any kind of indication on the instrument cluster that tells if the key is being read and understood? Honda's have a green key symbol, fords have the theft light, not sure what Lexus has. Also check and see if anyone tapped onto any of the wires for the starter and maybe it's causing a bad connection, seems to be pretty common here recently. Previous owners tapping into wires for things and creating bad connections. <_<

Thanks. During the last two days I've been pounding the keyboard to try and find whatever I can about the problem. At 64,000 miles she should have quite a few more years to go.

Not sure what I'm looking for regarding the key being read. The key will unlock the trunk and lock-unlock the doors without problems. I have a new key (without the lock/unlock fob) and the problem remains. I'm afraid I am going to have to rely upon a Lexus service shop to tell what's wrong.....$$$$. I'll have my husband take a look tonight for loose wires.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like the starter is going out or maybe something with the chip in the key. Is there any kind of indication on the instrument cluster that tells if the key is being read and understood? Honda's have a green key symbol, fords have the theft light, not sure what Lexus has. Also check and see if anyone tapped onto any of the wires for the starter and maybe it's causing a bad connection, seems to be pretty common here recently. Previous owners tapping into wires for things and creating bad connections. <_<

I was clear...sorry...I have two keys. One original remote and one new without remote. The key has been programmed. Problem persists. I'm leaning to starter. I'm just a lady who likes Lexus with little automotive knowledge, but something tells me it's the starter. Some talk on most www's is about starter solenoid failure. I'll find out Monday.

:cries:

If you had a new key made and it wasn't programmed then you probably don't have the chip in the key. Not sure what year it started on the GS4's. IF there's no chip it has to be the starter, starter relay, or wire connection.