Rapid Rise In Rpm

I have a 92SC300 auto transmission. I was at a stop and my RPM's suddenly started rising rapidly. I had to put the car into neutral and turn the key off. When I restarted, the car was fine. Also, over the last month, the overdrive twice didnt want to kick in at around 40-45 mph. Stayed in third gear. However, when I turned the car off and restarted, everything was fine again. A mechanic looked at the car and said he wasnt sure but it may be computer related. Does anybody have a similar experience or know what is taking place?? Thanks.

Well...the first thing I would check would be the air flow sensor near the intake. Next, I would check the throttle cable and ensure that the cable moves freely w/o restriction. From there...check the throttle body to ensure that throttle plate opens freely. While you're at it...spray some throttle body cleaner into the plate to get rid of the carbon buildup. Wipe off what you can reach. Don't worry about the stuff you can't reach,...as it will burn off anyway. (Just spray a bit of the stuff...you don't need to spray too much).

When you start the car (due to the throttle body cleaner)...your car may run like crap intially...as it is trying to get rid of the cleaner. Don't worry...but start the car and give it a little gas to help get rid of the cleaner.

See if the problem stays.

I would also recommend changing out the tranny fluid (and replacing the transmission filter) if you had not already done so.

Well...the first thing I would check would be the air flow sensor near the intake.  Next, I would check the throttle cable and ensure that the cable moves freely w/o restriction.  From there...check the throttle body to ensure that throttle plate opens freely.  While you're at it...spray some throttle body cleaner into the plate to get rid of the carbon buildup.  Wipe off what you can reach.  Don't worry about the stuff you can't reach,...as it will burn off anyway.  (Just spray a bit of the stuff...you don't need to spray too much). 

When you start the car (due to the throttle body cleaner)...your car may run like crap intially...as it is trying to get rid of the cleaner.  Don't worry...but start the car and give it a little gas to help get rid of the cleaner. 

See if the problem stays. 

I would also recommend changing out the tranny fluid (and replacing the transmission filter) if you had not already done so.

Thanks Ill give it a try.