Daytime Running Lights

Chris330

I'm not into the yellow look of the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) of my RX330... can I either turn them off in some settings or are there whiter lights that can replace the OEM bulbs that keep the look of the HID Xenons..

Christopher

Your DRLs are the HB bulbs being run at lower voltage to reduce the glare to oncoming drivers. Using the HB refleactor assembly gives them more forward range.

Why are you concerned with the "yellow" look when its only the oncoming drivers who see them and you definitely want their attention!

Your DRLs are the HB bulbs being run at lower voltage to reduce the glare to oncoming drivers. Using the HB refleactor assembly gives them more forward range.

Why are you concerned with the "yellow" look when its only the oncoming drivers who see them and you definitely want their attention!

I see DRL is a safety feature to let others see you in broad day light. But the more I think of it the less it makes sense.

I don't see anyone design a car to turn on sidemarkers and tail lights. Aren't we supposed to alert drivers from behind and both sides as well as in front during day time?

I always drive with my headlights on day and night ---something I have done for 25 some years and have, to date, never had an accident… I picked up the idea from an old over the road truck driver… You would think that I would have a few burned out bulbs over the years but NONE so far in cars I have kept under 3 or 4 years…

There is no doubt in my mind that you are more visible and that IS more than half the battle…

I may not be asking the question correctly... My last car was a 330... BMW 330CIC... and I replaced it's OEM fogs and DRLs to have the lights match the HID xenons...

Yes... it's all about the look. Maybe someone can point me to a Lexus Modder site that would be more appropriate for my question?

European cars use a small 5W halogen operating at full battery voltage for DRLs.

My 2001 RX300 had small forward facing bulbs in the outside corners of the headlamps assembly which I am replacing with 4W leds. Added a relay in series with the DRL circuit to energize the leds. Relay resistance prevents any noticeable illumination of HB (drl) bulbs.

I see DRL is a safety feature to let others see you in broad day light. But the more I think of it the less it makes sense.

I don't see anyone design a car to turn on sidemarkers and tail lights. Aren't we supposed to alert drivers from behind and both sides as well as in front during day time?

Many Euro cars (Volvo, Saab, MB) have a rear fog lamp that is basically a bright red bulb facing backward that comes on with the fog lamps. This does a good job of alerting any vehicles following you in the fog.