Paint Chipping

javajimbo

I have a 2004 LS430 UL color Mercury. My question is has anyone with this paint color had problems with chipping. Having had this car for a year I have many chips on the front end. I always try to avoid driving behind semi's put I still seem to get new chips everytime I use the car. I understand that this color (Mercury) was applied by the factory with two coats. I feel that the paint might by real soft. This is my 4th Lexus and have never had this problem before. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

This is common on many newer cars. The new VOC regulations require that the paint be reformulated, and an unfortunate side effect of that is chipping.

My Next Lexus will have a clearbra put on it before it ever even sees the road.

I had Clear Armour installed on my 04 RX & it works great. No chips at all on the front bumper, hood or fendors. I recently a 1,000 mile trip to Los Angeles. Clear Armour is a 3m product & may be sold under different names. I tried using the traditional type bra on my 01 RX & all it did was flap around & scratch the paint due to poor fit.

I had Clear Armour installed on my 04 RX & it works great. No chips at all on the front bumper, hood or fendors.  I recently a 1,000 mile trip to Los Angeles. Clear Armour is a 3m product & may be sold under different names. I tried using the traditional type bra on my 01 RX & all it did was flap around & scratch the paint due to poor fit.

Thanks for the info. I live in Brentwood (Conta Costa County). Where did you get the Clear Armour installed? Thanks for your help