Tie Rods Shot?

nc211

As a part of my on-going self education of my 95 ls, and further development into chapter 13 bankruptcy, I'm curious about the tie rods? What are the symptoms that they're worn out? I've tried a search, but can't seem to locate any symptoms, just how to replace them. Can't find anything in the repair manual about troubleshooting either. Thanks crew! :cheers:

Take a large pair of channel lock pliers and pinch the tie rod end into the ball socket. Pinch vertically in other words between the steering arm the the socket end of the ball. If the ball stud moves in and out of the socket more than about 1/32 of an inch then the end should be replaced. A just noticeable amount of movement is acceptable, but zero play is best.

The symptoms usually are a wandering sensation to the steering as the toe setting is lost. Normally the toe-in wears towards toe-out, and that makes the steering rather twitchy.

As a part of my on-going self education of my 95 ls, and further development into chapter 13 bankruptcy, I'm curious about the tie rods? What are the symptoms that they're worn out? I've tried a search, but can't seem to locate any symptoms, just how to replace them. Can't find anything in the repair manual about troubleshooting either. Thanks crew! :cheers:

Just replaced my tie rods nc. Purchased them from rockauto.com $44.79 a piece for the left and right outer. $61.81 left inner. $81.79 right inner. You can also try stopshopanddrive.com but I believe they don't carry the inner right side. Check to see if they have any play in them before you purchase anything. Like SRK said, just a just noticeable amount of play isn't really bad from what Midas told me.

Cool, thanks guys! I think I'm ok then, don't have any wandering....yet. I was curious because I had Bubba LeeRoy Jr. twice removed, replace my lower ball joints a few months ago. I guess he did it right then! :unsure: