My Car Is Overheating! Please Help! What To Do?

If you still cant see where the coolant is going.....pull up both floor mats in the front of the car,if the mats soaking wet then youve got a leak from the heater matrix......i had that problem with my mk1 Aristo(GS300).....

Good luck

Cheers chips.

Thanks, chips.

ALL,

I can finally see that my car has a leak. There is starting to be a small coolant puddle under my car now. Here is where the leak "looks" to be located: If you are standing in front of the car, looking down at the radiator, the leak "seems" to be on the driver's side, towards the bottom of the radiator. Could it be a hose? or the radiator itself? I may just get it pressue checked before I purchase a new radiator.

Thanks, Turbo!  Was I correct in saying that I don't have to take the fans off to replace the radiator?  Just take off the plastic scoop, unbolt and take out from the passenger side?  How did you plug the transmission cooler hoses when you took out the radiator?

The electric fan comes out with the radiator. The engine driven fan doesn't have to be removed. I used some cap plugs available at most auto parts stores, or you could use a bolt.

Hey Kino, yeah, just like turbo said, check the drain plug. Another place you want to check is your water pump. Make sure that it's dry. I had to replace my water pump as well. That's probably the most expensive part i've replaced underneath the hood so far. Usually, when you let your car overheat, the bearing in the waterpump will heatup as well and give way. This in turn will let out a slow leak through the bleeder which will also deplete your coolant. This might not be the case for you, but it wouldn't hurt to check. You are correct about not removing the fan assembly. As for the transmission hoses, I just put some cardboard at the bottom of my car and let it bleed out. It wasn't that much. Just a little bit came out. LOL... yeah, the whole process doesn't take that long... just a couple of hours and you'll be done.

Hey Kino, yeah, just like turbo said, check the drain plug.  Another place you want to check is your water pump.  Make sure that it's dry.  I had to replace my water pump as well.  That's probably the most expensive part i've replaced underneath the hood so far.  Usually, when you let your car overheat, the bearing in the waterpump will heatup as well and give way.  This in turn will let out a slow leak through the bleeder which will also deplete your coolant.  This might not be the case for you, but it wouldn't hurt to check.  You are correct about not removing the fan assembly.  As for the transmission hoses, I just put some cardboard at the bottom of my car and let it bleed out.  It wasn't that much.  Just a little bit came out.  LOL... yeah, the whole process doesn't take that long... just a couple of hours and you'll be done.

OK, Tomorrow morning I am going to get my car pressure tested and I have a radiator on hold at a local shop (just in case). So my next question is: When I unbolt the radiator (after taking off the scoop), do I lift the radiator out and then undo the transmission hoses or do I have to reach down in there and undo them? I am trying to get all the details so when I do this tomorrow morning all my questions will be answered. Thanks!

Remember to remove the lower half of the engine fan shroud and don't lose the clips. The clips just slide forward, however you have to pry them outward a little bit. The radiator won't come out all the way, I had a GF hold mine, so you can slide the clamps holding the trans hoses back and then remove the hoses. it can be wedges about halfway in/out for better access to the hoses. You have to unplug the electric fan and temp sensor in the bottom corner as well. Transfer all the old stuff to the new radiator and reinstall.

B)

Remember to remove the lower half of the engine fan shroud and don't lose the clips. The clips just slide forward, however you have to pry them outward a little bit. The radiator won't come out all the way, I had a GF hold mine, so you can slide the clamps holding the trans hoses back and then remove the hoses. it can be wedges about halfway in/out for better access to the hoses. You have to unplug the electric fan and temp sensor in the bottom corner as well. Transfer all the old stuff to the new radiator and reinstall.

B)

Well, I finally did it! B) I mean... I changed the radiator! :D Thanks, Turbo, Twin and everyone else that responded. Not that bad of a job at all! This forum is great!

Well, I finally did it!  B)  I mean...  I changed the radiator!  :D  Thanks, Turbo, Twin and everyone else that responded.  Not that bad of a job at all!  This forum is great!

Let us know if the engine still loses coolant and overheats or if that problem has been solved by the new radiator

Well, I finally did it!   B)   I mean...  I changed the radiator!   :D   Thanks, Turbo, Twin and everyone else that responded.  Not that bad of a job at all!  This forum is great!

Let us know if the engine still loses coolant and overheats or if that problem has been solved by the new radiator

The problem was solved by the new radiator. I had the radiator "pressure checked" before I went and purchased the new one.