Test Drive Report On New Avalon!

SW03ES

Great write up! Your reviews cover exactly what im looking for :D

I doubt they would be selling many of those fully loaded avalons, because many would rather by an ES330 instead, including myself. It was an answer to a question no one asked.

Nice job Steve! ;) What did you think of the driver's comfort in regards to the LS430? I was suprised to see that a large car like the Avalon only offers 41.3" of legroom (the LS430 is at 44"...the SC430 has 43". lol). Does the Avalon have an electronic throttle? If so, how do you think it perfromed and was there any noticeable lag?

I think I'd probably opt for the Avalon over the ES. I think the ES has a stellar exterior, and the interior is also great, but I do not like the 3 pod instrument cluster and 3 spoke steering wheel...not cool on such a classy car that so closely mimicks the LS430, IMO. Plus, I would really like the extra float in the ride(I think my LS could use some also...not that it is harsh in any way) not to mention the extra gadgets that the Avalon has that the ES doesn't. I'm glad that Toyota is not jamming all of the controls into the navi-I think it's a great safety componet. I think the Avalon is a great alternative to those who want a big, American car with Japanese engineering and build quality. My interest in this car would be through the roof if it had more than 41" of legroom...what a shame. I don't know if I could bear the thought of the $39,685 Avalon(that's everything but the dvd entertainment in the headrests--way to bling for me, "special color"...whatever that is, and vehicle shield package) I just built.lol

I didn't like the 3 pod gauges either but I've gotten used to it, thats going to be Lexus' new style and I wouldn't be surprised if the next LS has them also. I also didnt like the 3 spoke wheel at first either, and thats also grown on me.