Gps System Upgrade Is A Downgrade

jane

I made the mistake of allowing my dealer to implement the "free" GPS upgrade for my 2004 ES330. The upgrade is actually a downgrade. I found by speaking with Lexus customer service that the company has changed suppliers. The new maps are worse, not better than the ones they replaced. In fact the new supplier has the same terrible maps as MAPQUEST. How do I know? Because Mapquest.com has precisely the same mapping errors that plague the navigational guidance in my car.

To add insult to injury, Lexus customer service tells me it is "impossible" to go back to the better, previous system. I'm still working with my dealer to get a different answer to this request.

So if you haven't yet accepted the free upgrade, think twice.

thanks for the heads up jane.

Are you dealing with Lexus of Norwood or Watertown? just curious.

I had heard that a lot of the upgrade discs have errors and that Lexus is working on an improved upgrade. Don't know the current status or that, though.

steviej

The dealer didnt entirely know what they were talking about.

Lexus USED to use a company called NAVTECH, thats who designs the mapping system for MapQuest. My Lexus has the Navtech system. Yours does not, Lexus did not switch suppliers before the update, your ES330 has always had the new supplier. Your system is not designed by the people that make MapQuest. Most mapping software has the same errors, because they all get their info from the same source.

We had the nav in my fiance's Prius upgraded (same system as yours) and have had no problems. Its probably a fluke in your area.

The dealer is right though, there's no way to go back to the old disc unfortunately.

PS- I also just upgraded the NAVTECH disc in my 03 and am quite happy with the upgrades. Added a lot of roads in my area.

The dealer didnt entirely know what they were talking about.

Lexus USED to use a company called NAVTECH, thats who designs the mapping system for MapQuest. My Lexus has the Navtech system. Yours does not, Lexus did not switch suppliers before the update, your ES330 has always had the new supplier. Your system is not designed by the people that make MapQuest. Most mapping software has the same errors, because they all get their info from the same source.

We had the nav in my fiance's Prius upgraded (same system as yours) and have had no problems. Its probably a fluke in your area.

The dealer is right though, there's no way to go back to the old disc unfortunately.

PS- I also just upgraded the NAVTECH disc in my 03 and am quite happy with the upgrades. Added a lot of roads in my area.

Steve-

By any chance would you know the Version of the disc you installed?

Alan- Let me go see hang on-

- Its 04.1 Thats the latest update for our system.

Two more questions. Did you do the upgrade yourself & where did you get the disc from?

Yep, did it myself in 15 seconds and ordered it from Lexus-Parts.com

If you order don't forget to use your Gold Member code for your discount ;)

Its very easy to install, the black cover just pulls towards you, the disc ejects like on a DVD player and the system automatically updates to the newer disc. Its a crime dealers charge to do this as anyone who can watch a DVD can do it.

Yep, did it myself in 15 seconds and ordered it from Lexus-Parts.com

If you order don't forget to use your Gold Member code for your discount ;)

Its very easy to install, the black cover just pulls towards you, the disc ejects like on a DVD player and the system automatically updates to the newer disc. Its a crime dealers charge to do this as anyone who can watch a DVD can do it.

Oh yeah......it definitely is a simple job.......after watching a Lexus mechanic do it, and also snapping off one of the plastic connectors that holds the black cover to the NAV's computer!!! I ended up using Crazy Glue to fix the connector. :censored:

I also got my NAV updated on my wife 04 ES330 last Jan. 2005 to version 4.1

One thing I notice that on certain area, it will route to a wrong turning direction. (which is not very different with the old version) Such that even when the destination is on the right side of the road it will tell you it's on the left.

Also, I wanted to confirm what is involve with the NAV upgrade. My understanding is that they simply swap out the DVD media to a later version, but I notice when I remove and reinsert the dvd media the routing accuracy to the exact same location changes significantly.

But one thing I'm now happy about is that my home street is finally on the map.

Overall, I'm much rather have a newer data so I don't have to drive in to a out-of-business destination.