How To Do A Good Break-in Period

PizzaTurtle

Hi all,

The owner's manual of RX330 suggests the break-in period is 1000 miles and with the following guidelines:

- don't drive at a constant speed for a long time

- gentle on the brake until 300 miles

- don't race the engine

On the other hand, while searching the web, some suggests to vary the engine speed during the break-in period, even briefly up to the red line, just to let the engine experience different rev to allow piston rings to fit to the exact shapes of the cylinder walls.

I'm a bit confused, is it actually ok to drive on freeway say for half an hour during the break-in period?

I also read some suggestions to change engine oil right after the break-in period to clean up the dirty engine oil. However, the owner's manual doesn't say anything about it and simply states the first oil change is at 5K miles. I'm not sure which one I should follow.....

Any suggestions or tips about break-in period would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Hi all,

The owner's manual of RX330 suggests the break-in period is 1000 miles and with the following guidelines:

- don't drive at a constant speed for a long time

- gentle on the brake until 300 miles

- don't race the engine

On the other hand, while searching the web, some suggests to vary the engine speed during the break-in period, even briefly up to the red line, just to let the engine experience different rev to allow piston rings to fit to the exact shapes of the cylinder walls.

I'm a bit confused, is it actually ok to drive on freeway say for half an hour during the break-in period?

I also read some suggestions to change engine oil right after the break-in period to clean up the dirty engine oil.  However, the owner's manual doesn't say anything about it and simply states the first oil change is at 5K miles.  I'm not sure which one I should follow.....

Any suggestions or tips about break-in period would be much appreciated!  Thanks!!

I wouldn't rod the *BLEEP* out of it, but otherwise don't worry about it THAT much ... just drive. Change the oil at 5,000 miles.

Go very easy on the car for the first 1,500 - 2,000 miles. I always liked the idea of changing the oil a little early the first time in a brand new vehicle due to possible metal shavings & such.......but that's just me. :whistles: Consider switching to synthetic after the second oil change. Good Luck!

:cheers:

dont drive at constant speeds to long or use cruise control for first 3 thousand miles. It affects the VVti and give the computer false memory. other then that these cars can take alot . change the oil 3 months or 5 k miles .