Crazy Thoughts

blackdog489

Not worth the time or money. I know a friend that converted. He basically bought a donor car & switched everthing over. It took a long time. I believe that the wire harness was different & it was a lot of work to remove the old harness & reinstall it in the other car. Practically the whole interior had to be removed. I helped him with other parts of the conversion but not the electrical. You need to know what you're doing. My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
Not worth the time or money. I know a friend that converted.  He basically bought a donor car & switched everthing over.  It took a long time.  I believe that the wire harness was different & it was a lot of work to remove the old harness & reinstall it in the other car. Practically the whole interior had to be removed.  I helped him with other parts of the conversion but not the electrical.  You need to know what you're doing. My 2 cents.

Did he do it on an IS300?

manual swaps in a toyota are usually pretty straightforward. however, that may not be the case here.

what you woudl definately need:

ECU

Wiring harnesses

Tranny mounts and crossmember

Tranny (duh)

Clutch

Flywheel

Fuel pump, relay and ECU for the fuel pump (possibly)

Chutch Pedal

Welder

a few hoses here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

BlackDog, Are you going to be doing the work yourself or are you thinking about having a shop do the work? If you're going to have a shop do it, my opinion is that it makes the conversion cost prohibitive due to the man hours required. I took almost a month of weekends to complete because you run into things out of the ordinary. I use to be an auto mechanic for many years & so were the 2 other guys working on this project. We all agreed that for the time spent we may have been better off finding one that was a stick shift. Before you go any furthur start pricing the parts that Army listed that are required for the conversion then add in the labor. Hope this helps.

Cruzn, thanks for the reply. It's kind of complicated. I can't PM, so will you PM me your e-mail? I'll tell you about the whole sitch. Would you add anything to Army's list? I wasn't thinking of having it done at a shop. Thanks.

-blackdog

Just kidding about that cruzn, I don't even think you can PM me. If you can't, I'll just put my adress here. I'm not so hot about that, though. Do you have any sort of messanging program?

Just kidding about that cruzn, I don't even think you can PM me.  If you can't, I'll just put my adress here.  I'm not so hot about that, though.  Do you have any sort of messanging program?

blackdog, see that little box that says "CARD" below your information box.

A member just has to click on that, then click on the "send email link" and they can send you a secure email through LOC. The message is automatically sent to the email address you registered with. This way you don't have to post your email for all to see.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

If u r willing to take the time and effort to find the right parts it can be reasonable, but you have to factor in the cost of your effort i guess.

Pt to note is that the clutch pedal off most newer generation RWD toyotas will fit...i.e supra, soarer, chasers etc etc