Lx470 Low Beams

ipaquser

Due to availability of kits and shipping errors, I ended up with two HID kits. I replaced the low beams with Philips Stage II 6000k bulbs and ballasts. These have a slight blue tint. The bulb type is H1.

Installation required removing the light assembly and enlarging the bulb opening. This can be filed, as indicated by another member who also provided a picture. I used a Dremel tool with a stone bit to widen the opening. I also took the advice of another member to eliminate the UFO effects. I cut out 4 small metal oval tabs and glued these, using JB Weld, over the openings within the light housing (2 ovals in each light). The beam pattern is perfect. Added new wiring, straight to battery with relay and diode. Each ballast is fuse protected (15 AMP) along with the main power run (30 AMP)

See URL below for info on making your own harness.

The second HID upgrade consisted of replacing the H3 fog light bulbs with Philips 4100k HID lights. This was painless. No modification of the fog light assembly was required to fit the H3 capsules. 4100k is the OEM HID color for Lexus. I ran all new wiring for this option. Powered straight to the battery. Each ballast is fuse protected (15 AMP) along with the main power run (30 AMP)

I made my own wiring harnesses using information and parts supplied at

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlamp-harness.html

Excellent author and very helpful with anything HID related!

I added a Toyota OEM fog light switch (lighted) on the dash. I removed one of the plastic plugs next to the side view mirror adjustment controls. I had to enlarge the opening slightly to get the switch to fit. I purchased the switch for about $18 from a Toyota dealer. More info can be found at:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/

The following picture shows the addition of the Toyota OEM Fog light switch. I didn't want to mess with the lighting controls or relay on the turn signal lever mounted on the steering column. Another advantage is that I can now turn on the brights without the fog lights turning off.

post-6-1085430787.jpg

This picture shows the Philips Stage II 6000k HID capsules (H1) and Philips 4100k HID capsules (H3) on the fog lights. Notice the difference in light color. I would not want to go with anything higher than 6000k as it could attract too much attention with DOT. 4100k also provides more light output as opposed to 6000k.

I have not had a single vehicle flash me. Proper mounting, installation and quality of capsules have maintained a perfect beam cutoff pattern.

post-6-1085431310.jpg

Another picture with Low, High and Fog beams ON. Notice the difference in light color among the three. The Low Beams (6000k HID) and Fogs (4100k HID) do not appear as bright as the High beams due to the angle I used to take the picture. Oncoming traffic would see a similar effect. The Lows and Fogs are aimed to shoot down the road not in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Note: The High beams are PIAA X-treme White Plus 9005 - DOT approved. Nicer than the standard yellowish OEM bulbs. These also serve as the day time running lights.

Trust me, the HID lights are superior to the halogens. I have better visibility at night and feel safer driving. I have not had anyone flash me while driving with both the Low and Fog HID's on.

Thanks again for all the great advice found in this forum. I'll try to add another photo taken at night.

Paul

post-6-1085432473.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

prharper: How did you dremel out the opening without getting debris inside the projector lens? I have an H1 kit on order, and I took off the headlight today, and I was wondering if there was a way to enlarge the opening without making a mess.

If I do need to completely disassemble the lens, how do I get it apart? I got the clips off, and I couldnt get the glass off. Is the glass held on by silicone? I didnt try cutting it off, but I wanted to make sure thats what was needed before starting that.

I did not take apart the light assembly (held on with clips). I rigged a shop vac near the opening while filing with the Dremel bit to vacuum the debris to avoid dropping in the housing. I also used a can of compressed air after filing, with the opening facing the ground, and blew out the few pieces of metal that did fall into the housing. You might be able to spray some water in there and let dry completely. I didn't have much of a problem using the compressed air to blow it out.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul (a.k.a. prharper),

Great job on the HID install on your LX470. I had done the same thing (low beam only) last year and have been so pleased with the outcome. I however did not make my own wiring harness, but you've got me thinking about it. I wish that all the LX's came with HID as standard equipment. . . .

I got some question about the harness.

1) What did you use for the male headlight connector for the original wiring?

2) Did you only use the one side for the original connectors or both?

3) Whats the diode in the pic, did you use it?

4) Do you have the part# of the relay you used? Ive never done anything like this before.

Im referring to this pic:

hid-harness-single-filament.gif

• 9 months later...
prharper:  How did you dremel out the opening without getting debris inside the projector lens?  I have an H1 kit on order, and I took off the headlight today, and I was wondering if there was a way to enlarge the opening without making a mess.

If I do need to completely disassemble the lens, how do I get it apart?  I got the clips off, and I couldnt get the glass off.  Is the glass held on by silicone?  I didnt try cutting it off, but I wanted to make sure thats what was needed before starting that.

Sorry for the delay. I blew the debris out with a can of compressed air. Don't bother with the clips. The lens is sealed and not worth the effort to remove.

• 2 weeks later...