Pre Purchase Dealer Inspection Of Used Sc

I was wondering just how complete the Lexus $95.00 "safety inspection" is and should it be counted to uncover problems in the engine, transmission and other costly to repair parts of the car?

What other tests,or areas need to be checks so that a buyer has a good chance of knowing before purchase the problems with the vehicle.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this important topic.

Thanks Scott

I did a Lexus dealer inspection on my SC400. It is worth the money and make sure they give you the printout of the car's lexus service history and don't forget to get a carfax history in addition to the Lexus records. Besides the computer diagnostics, I specifically asked for the condition of the power steering unit (tends to leak at 75-100,000mi) and the condition of the rotors,pads, suspension etc. Have the Ac checked for leaks especially if it is a pre 1994 R12 unit. They should also check the transmission,electrical and sound equipment, exhaust, and body panels for repairs etc. You should also inspect the car for simple things like tire wear (is it even or uneven indicating possible alignment problems), body and paint, and the interior and the condition of the windshield for rock chips etc. Take the car for a good test drive on the highway and also over some rougher backroads or city potholes and then make your informed decision on what to offer if you want the car.