Harmless Heat Shield Noise Or Worse?

Gumart1

This is a tough noise to describe - sounds like a rapid vibration or "flutter" over the smallest bumps or curbs. Comes from the Driver's side front of car - possibly from the wheel area but not sure. No other noises over potholes or large bumps. I can hear it at idle speed up until about 40mph. Over that and I think the road noise drowns it out but it still may exist. Had the car into a brake and muffler shop for a free inspection. They could find nothing wrong (now that's an honest (or stupid) shop!) The Dealer suggested that the sound may be the heat shield rubbing against something. Have you heard of this or should I suspect the beginnings of bushings going bad or something else? It drives me crazy and I don't think its normal!

This is a tough noise to describe - sounds like a rapid vibration or "flutter" over the smallest bumps or curbs. Comes from the Driver's side front of car - possibly from the wheel area but not sure. No other noises over potholes or large bumps. I can hear it at idle speed up until about 40mph. Over that and I think the road noise drowns it out but it still may exist. Had the car into a brake and muffler shop for a free inspection. They could find nothing wrong (now that's an honest (or stupid) shop!) The Dealer suggested that the sound may be the heat shield rubbing against something. Have you heard of this or should I suspect the beginnings of bushings going bad or something else? It drives me crazy and I don't think its normal!

it might not be normal, btuif it isnt affecting drivability it is harmless.

sounds liek it may be a header/flex pipe/cat heatshiled.

take it to a MUFFLER shop and ask them to look at it.