Transmission Whining

jnelson

I have a 95 SC400 with a slight whine coming from the transmission. You can clearly hear each shift, both up and down. If it were a manual with 143k I would say it was fine, but of course it's an auto. Is this normal?

The other noise: starts at about 40 mph and seems to increase with speed. Sounds like it's outside, you can hear it well if driving near a wall. Tried coasting at speed, noise still there.

The trans does have an inherent while in it. Can't tell without hearing it if it is abnormal. It is a good idea to do a trans service on it anyway, no?

Re: other noise, sounds like a rear diff is dying. Does it get worse as you back off the car at speeds?

I have a 95 SC400 with a slight whine coming from the transmission. You can clearly hear each shift, both up and down.  If it were a manual with 143k I would say it was fine, but of course it's an auto.  Is this normal?

The other noise:  starts at about 40 mph and seems to increase with speed.  Sounds like it's outside, you can hear it well if driving near a wall.  Tried coasting at speed, noise still there.