Roll Bar

Archie

I know most LS400 and 430 owners are not into fast tracking through corners. However we live in a very hilly region of the country with narrow roads and tight turns.

My wife really didn't like the behavior of the new car on these type roads. She's the primary driver. The LS400 and 430 are set up for a heavy under steer as that's the feel a lot of drivers like. Under steer requires a lot of steering input to negotiate a turn and is considered safe as the front wheels will protest with a lot of noise and push if you enter a turn to fast. Over steer is the opposite and carried to extreme requires turning the wheel in the opposite direction to follow a sharp turn. Not at all recommended for the street!

Somewhere between these two items is a happy medium. The stock LS40-430 uses a .5" diameter anti roll bar, some times called a sway bar, in the rear. I had a spring shop copy the existing bar but used a 7/8" diameter. I also replaced the existing soft rubber bushings with hard polyurethane.

I did this about 5 years ago. It's an entirely different handling car. Absolutely no affect on the ride quality but when you enter a sharp turn at speed it stays flat and tracks like it's on rails. Why Lexus uses so light a bar I don't know.

I don't know of any after market source for the 400-430. They do make them for the IS 300 and etc. You might check with Eibach or www.addco.net. If you live in a large city a spring manufacturer can probally bend one up for you. Not at all high tech.

PS- the tires last about 20% longer too. No more tuck under and wearing out the edges.

Somewhere between these two items is a happy medium. The stock LS40-430 uses a .5" diameter anti roll bar, some times called a sway bar, in the rear. I had a spring shop copy the existing bar but used a 9/16" diameter. I also replaced the existing soft rubber bushings with hard polyurethane.

thats neat........makes it a little more ridged. good idea