Thinking About Getting Msd Ignition

silvermate

hey guys on this years tune-up in the spring, i think i'm going to add an MSD ignition system, just for the fun of it.

its not something anyone would really think of doing for our LS's but i think it would be a fun project. heck my car is paid off, and i've done pretty much every maintence and preventative maintence that can be done, and now its time for some fun, i'm kinda bored with my car :lol:

anyway here is what we would need with the part #'s, if any body else is ever interested in this

2) 6A Ignition Controllers Part # 6200

2) Blaster SS Coils Part # 8207

2) Tach/Fuel Adapters Part # 8910

I can assure you that the stock ignition is far more advanced and reliable than anything MSD can or will produce. If you are experiencing some ignition problems, then my advice would be to fix that with stock parts and leave well enough alone. MSD will leave you stranded long before any Nippondenso system will.

Hey silvermate,

I actually know the guy who thought up and developed MSD, his name is John Clark and he's a engineer who works for Autotronics, the company that makes MSD ignitions and also races cars out here in southwest New Mexico, He lives in El Paso, TX. I'm not sure how compatable the msd box is, the LS has basically two coil pack too increase the dwell time for each firing of each plug. You also might need to get to 6a boxes, and set them up in 4 cyl mode to work with the LS system, thats why the LS has two distributers. Next time I run across John, I'll ask him if they have ever done a Lexus LS 400. and what is needed.

As far as the stock lexus system being better than the MSD system, I don't think so. The only systems that are better then the MSD's are the ignitions being used on the Formula 1 race cars, and those suckers are pusing the 18,000 rpm mark

John Rodriguez

hey cool thanks for the info Spiller

i contacted MSD and they said for a solid setup and performace we would need the following exactly;

2) 6A Ignition Controllers

2) Blaster SS Coils

2) Tach/Fuel Adapters

yeah that setup would be FAR better than OE, no doubt about it.

thats neat you personally know the guy, you think he could give me any kind of deal on the complete system........ :whistles:

worth a shot :lol: