Chains For 2005 Rx330 With 18" Wheels

rumpole

Snow chains on the front only can get you into an early grave!

I assume this is an AWD RX330. If not there is a 92 AWD Ford Aerostar currently on ebay with the entire purchase price to go to the Tsunami victims. That would be the perfect vehicle for your skiing trip.

Read your owners manual, the section about the use of winter tires on the front and not the back, higher traction on the front vs the back can quickly lead to loss of control.

Not the exact wording in the manual but close enough.

Now, if winter tires on the front and not the back warrants a strong caution note from Lexus one would think that snowchains on the front only would warrant a HAZARD note.

The problem Toyota/Lexus has, RX300, RX330, HL, Sienna, etc, is that there is not enough clearance in the back between the strut and the tire for the use of snowchains at the rear.

As soon as I bought my 01 AWD RX300 it was upgraded with 1.2" wheel spacers all around and 17X8 wheels with Michelin cross terrains. During last years ice storm it handled quite nicely with chains only on the rear. But I always have a second set handy if needed.

Ford, in the new FreeStyle owners manual says that one should NEVER install front chains without also using rear chains. Then in another section of the book they tell you that rear chains cannot be used due to poor clearance.

Duh!