1998 Ls400- Considering/questions

90LS400Lexus

Today, I saw a white 1998 LS400 at the same dealer that I purchased my old 1990 LS400 from. It is an extremely nice car- actually like new. It has 91K miles. They are asking $14,995 for this car and I am guessing price is firm, because they usually do not negotiate pricing. According to "KBB" pricing, this is a bit steep for this car. I am not sure about these models- about what is standard/optional. It did have a "VSC"? switch on the lower center instrument panel. Is this traction control? Do these cars have the air-suspension and is it optional just like the older LS400s? I really like the car and am seriously considering it. Is 1998 a good year? Anything I should look closely for?

They also have a 1993 ES300 in excellent condition for $4,995 (which is $10,000 less), that I also like, but it is nothing like the 98' LS. They also have a 2000 GS with 69K for $18,900. All seem a bit steep according to "KBB".

I have found another 98' LS400 with lower miles (78K), but it is $19,995.

Another car I really like is a local 1996 Mercedes S420 (extended wheelbase model) in excellent condition for $17,000.

Here are photos of all of these cars (except the GS and Mercedes- which have no

photo).

First- here is the 98 LS400 for $14,995

Thanks for any advice on this LS.

post-4085-1105840921_thumb.jpg

Nice! The lower cladding on the 98 for 14 has been painted to match the top too. You might want to make sure there havent been any accidents with it, in my experience a lot of times cars have the two tone done in one color it was because body work was being done anyway and they figured why not. The VSC is the traction control and if the car has air suspension then you'd see the switch on the console.

That series LS is a fantastic car, all the series are fantastic but that series remains my favorite. Does it have the wood/leather wheel and HID lights?

If all checks out with the 14k car I'd go that route, the difference between 78 and 91k on an LS is negligable and vertainly not worth $5000.

One of the big differences I found between your '90 and the '98 is that the seats are softer and less "springy". Also there is quite a bit improvement in horesepower and I believe a 2 full seconds faster than the first generation. There are a host of other changes that are spelled out nicely on a thread here on the forum. Regarding the dealer price, everything is negotiable, especially depending on how you intend to buy the car. If you are trading in, vs. cash vs. financing the purchase, the scenario can be more or less attractive for the dealer to deal. There are other factors including how long the car has been sitting on his lot and the market for that model/year in your location. I would always start with a lower offer, you can always come up. In regards to the mileage, remember that if the car has or is near 90k then it is due for the major 30k service which includes the timing belt/water pump replacement, which is not cheap. Have a Lexus Dealer run the VIN and see the service history before you do anything. And forget about the 98' for $20k - that's outrageous. I have heard of the Mercedes S-series having a lot of technical issues, even though the new price was much higher than the LS400, so, unless the service history is immaculate, I wouldn't take a chance. Good luck.

That single tone '98 LS makes me nauseous(many seem to like the LS sans the grey cladding though) although it seems like a very good deal considering the mileage. :cries: I really like the 98 LS with 80k, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. If you don't want to spend that much on the GS, don't drive it because it only takes one drive to fall head over heels for the GS's!! The ride, performance, cabin, exterior, it's all excellent!! B)

$28k for a two year old ES is a total rip!! You can get a new one for just a few k's more.

:cheers:

28k isn't a ripoff depending on the mileage and equipment. Remember that the depreciation on the ES isn't as steep as the LS because of the lesser overall cost when new.

Maybe not, but there's not a chance that I'd pay $28k for an '03 even if it had 10k miles and navi/ml when the base invoice price for an '05 is also $28k(add a few $k's if you'd go for navi/ml). Dealers are hurting in Janurary, so I'm sure they could come somewhere close to invoice. I'd live in the dark and eat Ramon noodles a few months more and drive one off the lot. :lol:

I much preffer the two tone white with grey cladding, but for $5K less, I'd get the all white LS and repaint the lower cladding with the original factory grey to look stock and you'd still be $4K ahead. Also, I like a dark (legal) tint but hate the gold Lexus badging.

WRT VSC, If I am correct, it stands for Vehicle Stability Control and this sytem will correct for any oversteer / understeer by applying the brakes to one or more wheels to bring the car back onto its intended path, when you take a bend too quickly. VSC also incorporates the Tracion Contol functionality to prevent wheel spin.

28k isn't a ripoff depending on the mileage and equipment. Remember that the depreciation on the ES isn't as steep as the LS because of the lesser overall cost when new.

Maybe not, but there's not a chance that I'd pay $28k for an '03 even if it had 10k miles and navi/ml when the base invoice price for an '05 is also $28k(add a few $k's if you'd go for navi/ml). Dealers are hurting in Janurary, so I'm sure they could come somewhere close to invoice. I'd live in the dark and eat Ramon noodles a few months more and drive one off the lot. :lol:

But see, there are no base ES'. Lexus only ships the ES a couple ways, you would have to special order a new totally base ES and it would be sans HID lights, wood/leather wheel, navigation, rear sunshade. A special ordered car wouldn't be sold at invoice lol.

So lets say it does have nav/levinson. Well thats a $39,000 car. The best deal you could make on it is $34,500-$35,000 thats invoice. The 2003 is still $7,000 less and thats before any negotiation on the 2003. $7,000 is 20% of the cost of a new one in that scenario! Not to mention you'd have to work to get to 35k on a nav/lev car (Lexus dealers are tough even in January) Lets say you were looking at full price, well thats an $11,000 drop in price, or 30%. 30% is right on for 2 years depreciation.

The only way that can be a ripoff is if the car doesn't have nav. When you're looking at 1,2 year old cars you can always buy a new one for a few k more. I'm like you, I'd buy the new one but there are people that won't. They're not as much looking for people who can't afford a new one, just people who are happy to save the 20%. A CL or UL 03-04 LS430 will cost more than a brand new base LS430, doesn't make it a ripoff.

But see, there are no base ES'. Lexus only ships the ES a couple ways, you would have to special order a new totally base ES and it would be sans HID lights, wood/leather wheel, navigation, rear sunshade. A special ordered car wouldn't be sold at invoice lol.

So lets say it does have nav/levinson. Well thats a $39,000 car. The best deal you could make on it is $34,500-$35,000 thats invoice. The 2003 is still $7,000 less and thats before any negotiation on the 2003. $7,000 is 20% of the cost of a new one in that scenario! Not to mention you'd have to work to get to 35k on a nav/lev car (Lexus dealers are tough even in January) Lets say you were looking at full price, well thats an $11,000 drop in price, or 30%. 30% is right on for 2 years depreciation.

The only way that can be a ripoff is if the car doesn't have nav. When you're looking at 1,2 year old cars you can always buy a new one for a few k more. I'm like you, I'd buy the new one but there are people that won't. They're not as much looking for people who can't afford a new one, just people who are happy to save the 20%. A CL or UL 03-04 LS430 will cost more than a brand new base LS430, doesn't make it a ripoff.

I guess they have fewer options for Louisiana cars(I've only seen a handful of cars with nav around here). The highest model I could build was $36.9k. It didn't say anything about ML(it did have 17's, navi, wood wheel/knob, rear sun shade, heated/vented seats, 6 disc changer, etc.), I don't know where the extra $2k comes in for the northern cars. Edmunds shows almost a $5k difference between invoice and msrp. Then, we'd be looking at a deal something like $33k +/- which is only $5k more than the '03 he saw.

Maybe ripoff is a bad choice of words. I just couldn't justify $28k for a car that is already 2 years old when a new one can be had for about $5k more. Demo-type cars have never appealed to me. <_<

But you have to understand there is room to negotiate on the $28k 03 he saw also.

As for the pricing my car was $39,670 and I got it out the door for $35,500 in January of 2003. That was a very good deal. They're a LITTLE cheaper now and the car identical to mine tops out just under $39k.

I agree with you, but a lot of people are happy to save that 20%. We have several members like that at the LOC. To me a car isn't an investment anyway and purchasing something like a Lexus is purely a luxury so why not go all out? Unless you're buying one thats significantly used and getting into it for very little money I don't get buying a used one. I could have had a 2000 LS400 with 30k for the same money as the ES, I bought the ES mostly because it was new. I don't regret it either, the LS never would have felt like it was mine.

I had never noticed the solid body color on the 98 LS400 for $14K before. It was dark when I looked at it, but the light from the car lot, the vets office next door and the Lincoln-Volvo dealership across the street provided enought light to see the interior. After reading the replies and looking at the photo, I am really disgusted with the color scheme. It does look bad. Perhaps it did have a repaint. I think I will keep looking. I would really like to find a very low mile 93-94 LS400, or perhaps a 95-97 LS400. I really like the 95-97 models the best for some reason. I like the 93' ES300 as well, but I think $5000 is a bit steep, considering the 151K miles.

I am also considering a couple of Mercedes again, but that it a different story. I know they are typically not as reliable as the LS, very costly to maintain (as are LS's), but I really love the styling on the 1980s S-Class sedans, so I may take the risk and suffer the consequences later. <_< :D

Here is nice and fairly local (about 50 miles away) LS430 I would like to have, but it is a bit steep for me. BIN is $50,000. I cannot believe it is been on for 5 days and the bid is at a lousy $1050. <_<

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4519678751&rd=1

I guess posting an e-bay link is OK here... ? If not I will delete. <_<