2001 Lexus Es300 Wiper Blades Don't Retract!

nsarin

Good advice...the dealer changed the oil just prior to me picking up the vehicle..but i brought my own synthtic oil and had him change it again...2 changes never hurt..helps flush it out! I always use synthetic for Lexus. For gas though, I'm varied on whether to use mid-grade or top gas...I never saw any improvement in gas mileage whatsoever btw the two...

Also, when I turn the engine off I notice that I have to get out and hit the lock button 'twice' before the headlights turn off...I assume that's normal? Again, it will probably all be in the maintenance guide.

Ciao!

Once you have had a chance to put a few thousand clicks on your ES to see if it burns any oil or not (if it does, you might want to cinsider switching to a 10W30 grade since you have higher mileage).

As for the gasoline, I use nothing but Sunoco Ultra 94 gasoline....I personally have tried the Sunoco regular 87....if you do the math on it, the mid-grade is a bad buy compared to the 94 so I never put the mid-grade in. Sunoco of all the big 4 gas companies (Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada & Sunoco) is by far the cleanest gasoline as they use Ethonol in their gas (which makes it a natural gas line anti-freeze) & has the lowest sulphur content PPM of all.....Esso is the absolute worst not matter which grade is used, followed by Petro Canada as the second worst. Any grade Sunoco is best for your car to burn & the environment.

Not sure about the headlight issue you mention. You should however notice that when you leave the headlights on & shut the engine off, when you go to get out of the car, many other cars have an audible 'chime' or 'beep' that warns you that you left your lights on.......the ES does not & I believe after several minutes (not sure exactly how long) the car will shut the lights off automatically so not to run down the battery. B)

Was the timing belt &/or water pump replaced yet do you know? ;)

:cheers:

Right now, using a 5W30 for winter...considering also 0W40 as it's used extensively with german and japanese high performance cars..but will do more research as time goes on. As for oil burning, there is a slight bit of black inside the exhaust tailpipe...nothing major though...looks like regular longer term mileage caused it.

For gas, yes I've always knows that Esso is the worst. Shell Gold isn't too though bad...94 Ultra is the best there is I know, however is it what this engine requires?

I use Shell 'silver' in my 96' ES for god knows how long and had absolutely no issues whatsoever...but perhaps I should consider going back to Sunoco 94' eh?

I used to have a 96'Prelude SR-V about 6 years ago (last of the true sporty model) and used sunoco 94' for that one as honda recommends it for high performance '4 bangers'. But for Lex?

As for timing belt/water pump...no, not been replaced. That is the 1 service job that the previous owner did not do out of all of them! So I'm taking my car for service this or next week. I use a mechanic up in Markham...the owner used to be the head mechanic for Don Valley Lexus. Started his own shop many years ago and basically knows every single thing about Lex/Toyota. His rates are much cheaper than Lex or Toy anywhere. He fixes his cars based on finding the solution and fixing instead of just simply 'replacing' defective parts for new...as done at dealerships. Much cheaper overall and never seen another mechanic so meticulous with his work...he will not let your car leave unless he's fully satisfied that it's 100% fixed and never charges you for extra time even though he often spends way more on it than most would...

nsarin,

if you wouldn't mind (Brenden is my first name btw), could you give me the name, address & phone number of that shop in Markham & the owners name (I live on the Scarborough / Markham border at Mc Cowan & Steeles)? You can PM me or send all the info to my hotmail : Rivmaster91@hotmail.com Let me know how much an hour he charges for labour (I like to bring my own fluids when I have them changed as I get some of them wholesale). I'd appreciate it! B)

sk, I have to check my owners manual about what you described.....thanks! B)

No problem Brendan...I just sent you the info to your email address.

Oh, forgot also have memory seating...interesting little thing which helps with my wife always forgetting to reposition after she leaves!

Steviej, your prob right...I'll prob just stick to stock specs rather than messing around.

No problem Brendan...I just sent you the info to your email address.

Oh, forgot also have memory seating...interesting little thing which helps with my wife always forgetting to reposition after she leaves!

Steviej, your prob right...I'll prob just stick to stock specs rather than messing around.

Awesome! I just got the e-mail.....thanks! I will keep his name & number on file. B) My wife likes the memory feature on my ES as well.......when I let her drive it lol. :lol: :whistles: