Headlight Condensation

brucelee

I know this has been covered before but my search seemed to lead me no where.

Has anyone cured this issue by drilling more vent holes in the light housing. I have seen this suggested but have not read where anyone with an SC400 has tried this.

Any help short of new headlamp housings would be appreciated.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

HI! For my lights, I didn't have to drill more holes beacuse I thought the 2 holes per headlight was enough. However, I just resealed my headlights last week and so far the results are great! All I did was remove both headlight units from the car, removed the bulbs, and stuck a hair blow dryer in the outlet holes until the moisture evaporated away. I then used GE Silicone II (black color) and put another layer on every seam all the way around the housing. I made sure I didn't overlook any seams. BTW I didnt have to split and polish the lens because they were still in good shape.

The next day after the silicone cured, I reinstalled all the bulbs (parking, signal, and head) back into the housing and added an extra bead of silicone around the area where the bulb hardware met the hole of the socket just for added protection. I cleaned and reattached the original drain tubes (the ones filled with the mesh) as before. There are a total of four of them (2 each headlight housing).

To reward myself, I installed Silverstars in them and viola! Like new! -and what a difference the new bulbs made!

So far, its been raining hard for the past couple of days straight and parked the car outside just to test it out. After each rainy day, I would check if any water / moisture got into the housing. Nope! All is good! The job was worth the trouble. :D

Thanks is great info. Thanks much. Can you elaborate on the Silverstars thing? New type of bulb?

HI! For my lights, I didn't have to drill more holes beacuse I thought the 2 holes per headlight was enough. However, I just resealed  my headlights last week and so far the results are great! All I did was remove both headlight units from the car, removed the bulbs, and stuck a hair blow dryer in the outlet holes until the moisture evaporated away. I then used GE Silicone II (black color) and put another layer on every seam all the way around the housing. I made sure I didn't overlook any seams. BTW I didnt have to split and polish the lens because they were still in good shape.

The next day after the silicone cured, I reinstalled  all the bulbs (parking, signal, and head) back into the housing and added an extra bead of silicone around the area where the bulb hardware met the hole of the socket just for added protection. I cleaned and reattached the original drain tubes (the ones filled with the mesh) as before. There are a total of four of them (2 each headlight housing).

To reward myself, I installed Silverstars in them and viola! Like new! -and what a difference the new bulbs made!

So far, its been raining hard for the past couple of days straight and parked the car outside just to test it out. After each rainy day, I would check if any water / moisture got into the housing. Nope! All is good! The job was worth the trouble.  :D

HI! "Silvania Silverstars" are nothing more than a trade name for a type of car light bulb that supposedly shine "whiter" than your OEM bulbs. All I just replaced was both headlight bulbs and compared to my stockers, they are much whiter. They will last a long time if you install them correctly.

Are they a new item? No. They've been out for a while.

You can get them for about $25 a piece at your local autoparts store. I went with a direct replacement #9006.

ss_bchart.gif

...some like them some don't. You'll just have to try them out for yourself. As for me, I like'em. B)

Thanks for all the help.

:cheers:

HI! "Silvania Silverstars" are nothing more than a trade name for a type of car light bulb that supposedly shine "whiter" than your OEM bulbs. All I just replaced was both headlight bulbs and compared to my stockers, they are much whiter. They will last a long time if you install them correctly.

Are they a new item? No. They've been out for a while.

You can get them for about $25 a piece at your local autoparts store.  I went with a direct replacement #9006.

ss_bchart.gif

...some like them some don't. You'll just have to try them out for yourself. As for me, I like'em.  B)