Power Steering Fluid Loss

TexasLexus94

Yes, we Gen 1's have that PS problem. So I've monitored my PS fluid for the 15 months or so since I've owned my 94LS with 108K miles.. It seems that whenever I take a trip over 500 miles each way or so, I need to top off the PS fluid. When I got the car originally, the fluid didn't even show on the stick.

But there are no drips on the garage floor or any parking lots-no leaks on alternators and such, so I'm wondering why the PS system seems to need occasional refreshment, while the engine and tranny never need refills. I read once on this site about "blow by" loss or something like that.

Thanks for your input. Knock on wood....

No signs of leak anywhere besides having to refill the ps steering resevoir...probally means that the fluid is burning off in the combustion process. If that is the case then you should see white smoke from the exhaust when you start your car. So like TexasLexus said...it's blow by loss.

Pull out the hose leading from the valve to the IM, if you see traces of oil then it's likely that the valve needs to be replaced.

Look directly in front of where the "Lexus" is written on the intake manifold. You will see a nipple with a rubber hose attached to it. Pull off this hose and see if it has fluid in it.

There is another hose to the left of this hose. It runs from the bottom of the power steering pump to the air intake between the air filter and the intake manifold. This hose has also been known to have fluid in it.

The air control valve screws into the bottom of the power steering pump. It is replaceable without replacing the pump. The part number is 17630-16040. It is available from Toyota dealers for about $75.00.

Please explain that answer. Thanks

This thread covers the air control valve in great detail:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=6583&st=15

In summary, all 1st generation LS400 power steering systems need:

1. A new air control valve installed.

2. Periodic cleaning of the filter screens in the steering rack solenoid and power steering fluid reservoir.

3. Periodic power steering fluid replacement

Following these three steps will help avoid power steering system leaks ( which are not only a nuisance, but can ruin the alternator and leave the owner stranded) and avoid wear out of the pump and expensive steering rack.