Windshield Wiper Sweep

My 2001 GS300's (bought 2 months ago) driver side wiper sweep stops about 3-4" from the window pillar. I kind of thought this must be the way it is because of the 2 positions (reg and snow). The sweep must be restricted to allow for both positions, right? But I've been checking other GS300s and I've seen where the wiper was stowed at the bottom of the windshield and the dirt showing on the windshield showed it travels to about an inch of the pillar. In other words a full sweep and still hidden away when stowed. The service advisor (one day it would be nice to talk to someone who actually worked on cars) I called said there is no adjustment. From what I've seen, there must be. Anyone know how?

There won't be an adjustment for sweep.

Sounds like the mechanism was in snow position and the arm put on in the regular position. Can you pull the arm up into the snow position or will it push down even further into the engine bay?

This thought had occurred to me and I tried to move the wiper position but not knowing exactly which position it is in, I did not want to force it. I put reasonable pressure on the wiper and stopped before I thought I would damage it. Do you have a good description about how much pressure you should apply?

Also I guess you are saying that somehow it knows which position it is in and will adust sweep accordingly. If it didn't shorten the stroke in the snow position it would wipe past the pillar.

The wiper drive system does in fact "know" what position it is in, or so it seems. In either position, at least on my 1998 GS300, the stop position from the "A" pillar is identical. If you grasp the end of the arm at the connection point to the blade, this is the best place to push/pull. Quite a bit of force is required. You will not break the linkage, unless you are a professional wrestler on a mission. If one blade does not seem be where it belongs, remove the arm from the shaft and move it in the appropriate direction by one tooth. The shaft is splined so the arm must be pulled from the shaft before you can change its position.

post-4610-1103678285_thumb.jpg

The wiper drive system does in fact "know" what position it is in, or so it seems. In either position, at least on my 1998 GS300, the stop position from the "A" pillar is identical. If you grasp the end of the arm at the connection point to the blade, this is the best place to push/pull. Quite a bit of force is required. You will not break the linkage, unless you are a professional wrestler on a mission. If one blade does not seem be where it belongs, remove the arm from the shaft and move it in the appropriate direction by one tooth. The shaft is splined so the arm must be pulled from the shaft before you can change its position.

post-4610-1103678285_thumb.jpg

That's what it was. The drive mechanism was in snow mode and the previous owner or factory had mounted the wiper arm in the normal position. I'm glad I trusted my instincts when I stopped pulling the arm up to the snow position (it was already there). To set it to the normal position I had to lift the hood and pull down on the wiper arm. Then just had to remove the arms and reset the stored position. Thanks for all your help!

• 8 years later...

Hi,

our UK GS300 has a rotary switch half way down the stalk maked FULL and SEMI that actuates electric Winter and Summer/parked under the bonnet/hood settings !

A windscreen Co also put ours back on badly !!! Bit of playing around and they're fine now !

Great car !

By the way, I take it it is a cam belt engine ? Ours has done just over 110,000 miles and lots of service too.

Thnik we might be keeping it for a while !