Trac Off, Cel & Getting Gas

rev579

Short time luker, first time poster. Here's the deal, last week I was filling up my ES 300, new to me, while keeping the engine running. To make matters worse, I drove it almost to empty. WEll, needless to say, the CEL and TRAC Off lights came on. After checking out the posts here, I unhooked the battery and hooked it back. The lights were gone, but yesterday they came back. My thinking is I triggered something while filling up with the motor running, or running it too close to empty. Is there anything I can do, short of dropping a pretty sum to the dealership?

Two ther things, first, is there an enhanced waranty settlement for the 1999 es 300?

Also, I would ask if there is a good mechanic near Lake Livingston, in TX. I have family who use JP IMPORTZ.

Thanks in advance

Grace & Peace.

Short time luker, first time poster.  Here's the deal, last week I was filling up my ES 300, new to me, while keeping the engine running.  To make matters worse, I drove it almost to empty.  WEll, needless to say, the CEL and TRAC Off lights came on.  After checking out the posts here, I unhooked the battery and hooked it back.  The lights were gone, but yesterday they came back.  My thinking is I triggered something while filling up with the motor running, or running it too close to empty.  Is there anything I can do, short of dropping a pretty sum to the dealership?

Two ther things, first, is there an enhanced waranty settlement for the 1999 es 300?

Also, I would ask if there is a good mechanic near Lake Livingston, in TX.  I have family who use JP IMPORTZ.

Thanks in advance

Grace & Peace.

JPI is the best place in texas to take your lexus. he does wonders with mine and many others.

Welcome to the site.

the trac off light along with the CEl means the trans has entered "safe mode". take it to autozone and have the codes read.

if the codes are unrelated ot O2 sensors or catalytic cconverters (most likely they are) then the dealer should cover it. the only reason they wouldnt cover it if related to cats or 02's is becauce filling up while running CAN (not usually, but once in a while) damage these components.

generally it is not good practice to fill the car while it is running.

Army, you wrote, "if the codes are unrelated ot O2 sensors or catalytic cconverters (most likely they are) then the dealer should cover it. the only reason they wouldnt cover it if related to cats or 02's is becauce filling up while running CAN (not usually, but once in a while) damage these components." Does this mean that they cover it at their loss?

I just purchased the es 300 a month ago and am just now finding out about some epa settlement. From what I have read on other posts, it relates to up to 1998, and mine is a 99.

I am going to autozone this am.

Follow-up:

Went to autozone and the obd code was po420. The guy said I ahd a bad cat. My issue is that this happened right after I filled up. How do I know if I did something to the gas cap, if it is because I filled up while the motor was running, b/c I topped off the tank or because I drove it close to empty?

Just bought the car from a group in Addison. I am thinking about calling them this afternoon.

Would love to hear the thoughts of the forum.

Need to add another bit.

Called a Lexus mechanic, told him the story and he told me to go to Autozone and clear the code. Disconnecting the battery is a temp fix, but it will come back.

Edited by rev579

Follow-up:

Went to autozone and the obd code was po420.  The guy said I ahd a bad cat.  My issue is that this happened right after I filled up.  How do I know if I did something to the gas cap, if it is because I filled up while the motor was running, b/c I topped off the tank or because I drove it close to empty?

Just bought the car from a group in Addison.  I am thinking about calling them this afternoon.

Would love to hear the thoughts of the forum.

Need to add another bit.

Called a Lexus mechanic, told him the story and he told me to go to Autozone and clear the code.  Disconnecting the battery is a temp fix, but it will come back.

the P0420 is a Catalytic converter deficiency, or something to that effect. more than likely the cat fried from the abnormal fuel mixture, it had to be on its way out anyway though.

the code will keep recurring until you fix the problem. if the car came with a warranty, have them replace the cats. sometimes, ESPECIALLY if the tank is near empty when you do it, refilling while running the car can cause bad cats. basically it introduces extra pressure into the fuel system and floods out the motor. causing to to run with more fuel than its supposed to. this breaks down the catalytic conv. im not sur how exactly this occurs, but i have seen it happen before.

so dont do it again LOL.

Does this mean that they cover it at their loss?

thats gonna depend on weather or not you tell them about you filling up while the car was running (which is illegal in most states believe it or not!)