Ls400 - Are They As Good As I Hear They Are?

LS400~es

I dont know where you are in the Pac NW, I am in Portland and find some good deals in the classifieds at The Oregonian, see link below to LS400's.  Check out the website, as it has many with photos, etc.  Also, in addition to Autotrader.com and Craigslist, you can try automart.com, which is a more local site, I believe.  I sold my 92 LS400 last year, unfortunately, but I can tell you that they sell quickly if priced right.  I have seen many while I have been looking for a new Lex for myself.  If you come acrossed any SC's w/ low miles please let me know. - travis

http://www.oregonlive.com/autos/used/index...in/transrch.cgi

I tried, but just got:

Go back and fix the following errors and then resubmit your form.

Domain identifier missing from the Transportation Page. ~ ~ es

It is possible to find what u r loooking for. After researching I kept coming back to lexus also. Found a 94 LS400 with 24,000 original owner/miles on it. Drove 100 miles and bought it on the spot. Paid top dollar for it and didn't blink an eye. Hope u continue to feel better and don't despair your car is out there!!

Good Luck-----Former Puyallup, WA. now Melbourne FL. resident.

I drive the particular year LS400 that you state.  It's a great car.  I have nothing bad to say. 

HA, if you don't I do.

The brakes (especially the front) on the '91 are terrible. I really don't know who signed off on them during the development; the car feels like its about 1000 lbs heavier than they were designed to stop.

The handling is also terrible. This is with the standard suspension, although I'm not sure how improved it would be with the air option. For casual city driving though, this car rocks. It does what it was made to do (assuming as how it was probably targeted to the demographic of high income white collar middle to later age men, who would be doing mostly casual city driving, and occasionally long highspeed highway trips) and does it well. Mountain roads, however, are a no go.

Here is my overall evaluation of the car:

Going: 8

engine: 9.5

I love this engine. Tight mechanical tolerances=long mechanical life, very quiet, mechanically effecient. I like that it has 32 valves and 4 cams. Its got some good power to it.

other drivetrain: 7

Transmission is awesome. The car is DESPERATELY in need of a limited slip differential.

Steering: 5

Does not provide a very intuitive feel to the driver. Power steering assist curve seems odd, although I really like the speed adjustment feature. More easily manuvered in parking lots that most land yachts. Pleasant at low speeds and highway cruising.

Stopping: 3

pedal feel:5

stopping distance and ability: 2.5

Simply not enough braking capability for a car of this size and weight. Brake fade is noticeable after continuously on them for a while.

Driving types

Mountain Roads: 4

suspension sucks for performance driving.

70+ mph highway cruising: 8

I am deathly afraid of having to pull off a 60-0 panic stop or 80+ mph emergency manuvers in this car. Where my BMW would have been even a little controlable, I really don't know what this car would do. The limit is very hard to sense, again because it is a luxury vehicle. However it is very very quiet at high speeds, and

Mind you I'm a performace minded BMW track driver at heart. The LS400 is simply my temp car to hold me over to my 535 :D

*EDIT* Terribly sorry for the half finished post, something came up and I had to go but didn't want to lose everything I had written. I'll finish it up ASAP when I have time.

Finding the right car is sometimes just plain good luck.  I wasn't even in the market for a Lexus (or a car) when I ran into a freind who had bought the 1990 new.  Synthetic oil always, garaged, well maintanined.  He bought a 99 LS400 . I asked him what he was going to do with the 90 and he hemmed and hawed and said he might keep it.  Then he called me and said he might sell it.  I asked how much, he said 6 grand.  It went home with me. It had 120,000 at the time. 

Look on autotrader.com  best place with out ebay

VBdenny - I was in exactly the same boat as you. Was not looking for a new car and I happened to be riding in my colleagues 91 LS and he mentions to me that he wants to sell it. He said that with 260,000km it was ready for the scrap heap. I told him its a great car and not a scrap heap wreck. So I told him I might be interested in buying it. Had the car checked out and looked over the service records (Lexus serviced all its life). It is in excellect condition for a 13yo car so I bought it fairly cheaply. Now I love the car.

My only critisism are, the braking is not up to scratch and the car leans a little too much and the seats just are not supportive enough.

I just bought a 94 LS 400 Aniversary Edition with 136k. It did have a salvage title, but it was fixed by a guy that does that for a living and his wife has drove it for 8 years since he fixed it. It has pearl opel paint,cell phone,trac system...etc... I paid $6000.00 and think I did ok on it. Book on the car is from 8k to 10k so I think I did ok even with the salvage history. It rides and drives like a new one with no problems, lcds,tac,speedo lights, etc.... Good luck, Robert

It is possible to find what u r loooking for.  After researching I kept coming back to lexus also.  Found a 94 LS400 with 24,000 original owner/miles on it.  Drove 100 miles and bought it on the spot.  Paid top dollar for it and didn't blink an eye.  Hope u continue to feel better and don't despair your car is out there!! 

Sorry for not responding sooner - life gets a bit crazy at times. I haven't checked my email in a while.

WOW ! ! ! - - 24,000 original owner/miles - That is fantastic!

LS400s do seem to be a bit more avaialable in Florida than here. I am hoping I don't have to end up going to Florida to get one that is "right."

I appreciate your encouragement! ~ ~ LS400~es ;)

I just bought a 94 LS 400 Aniversary Edition with 136k. It did have a salvage title, but it was fixed by a guy that does that for a living and his wife has drove it for 8 years since he fixed it. It has pearl opel paint,cell phone,trac system...etc... I paid $6000.00 and think I did ok on it. Book on the car is from 8k to 10k so I think I did ok even with the salvage history. It rides and drives like a new one with no problems, lcds,tac,speedo lights, etc.... Good luck, Robert

I was not aware of an "Aniversary Edition" of the LS400. What features does it have beyond the standard model? How do you tell if it is an Aniversary Edition?

It sounds like you ended up with a very nice car! ~ ~ LS400~es ;)

I was not aware of an "Aniversary Edition" of the LS400. What features does it have beyond the standard model? How do you tell if it is an Aniversary Edition?

It sounds like you ended up with a very nice car! ~ ~ LS400~es ;)

It say's "Aniversary Edition" on the floor mats. It came with a phone, upgraded wheels,CD player, special "opel pearl white" paint, gold package,trac system Nac stereo.and a few other odds and ends. It seems to be a real nice car, i really like it. Robert

• 2 months later...
It is possible to find what u r loooking for.  After researching I kept coming back to lexus also.  Found a 94 LS400 with 24,000 original owner/miles on it.  Drove 100 miles and bought it on the spot.  Paid top dollar for it and didn't blink an eye.   Hope u continue to feel better and don't despair your car is out there!! 

Sorry for not responding sooner - life gets a bit crazy at times. I haven't checked my email in a while.

WOW ! ! ! - - 24,000 original owner/miles - That is fantastic!

LS400s do seem to be a bit more avaialable in Florida than here. I am hoping I don't have to end up going to Florida to get one that is "right."

I appreciate your encouragement! ~ ~ LS400~es ;)

I am thinking of selling my baby (buying another home) she has 28,200 miles, new tires and wheels (have original rims), and is in excellent condition.

Have original sticker ($57,703.00) options include:

Memory system

Power tilt and slide moonroof with sunshade

Traction control with heated front seats

Nakamichi premium audio system with 280 watts maximum power

Remote 6-cd auto changer

Carpeted floor mats

Carpeted trunk mat

Wheel locks

Diamond White Pearl/Gray with gray leather.

$15,500.00 (NADA is $14,950.00 but I just put the new wheels on)