Key fob programming

Dio01

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago I purchased a ‘96 LS400. All door locks were broken except the driver side, so I went through the process of replacing each actuator yesterday. I also ordered a key fob for the car a little bit ago and had no success programming it. I assume this is because the door locks were broken. But yesterday after the locks were fixed I gave it a shot again. I followed the instructions and I think got it into programming mode? After a sequence I followed online the door locks cycled 2 or 3 times and the car beeped twice. What does this mean? Many people said if it cycles more than once to try again and I tried several times but got the same result each time. And the remote would not program. Can anyone tell me what it means when it beeps and cycles the locks multiple times?

Hopefully, you have the correct programming procedure.  In case you need to confirm; From TIS, Technical Service Information, EL003–96 (apologies for the difficult to read formatting):

WIRELESS DOOR LOCK SERVICE INFORMATION AND DIAGNOSIS Page 11 of 13
KEY REGISTRATION (1995 AND LATER MODELS):

Set initial conditions:
 Key out of ignition
 Driver’s door open and unlocked
 All other doors closed and locked

Registration Procedure:
NOTE: Perform all steps with no more than a five second interval between steps.
1. Insert key into ignition for 1 second and remove.
2. Cycle (lock and unlock = 1 cycle) the driver’s interior power door lock switch 5 times
(1 second in each position).
3. Close and reopen driver’s door.
4. Cycle the driver’s interior power door lock switch 5 times (1 second in each position).
5. Insert key into ignition and cycle the ignition on and off:
 One time to add a new code.
 Two times to add a new code and erase all previously stored codes.
 Three times to check how many codes are currently registered.
6. Remove key from ignition. Receiver should respond by cycling the door locks a corresponding
number of times:
 One time to add a new code.
 Two times to add a new code and erase all previously stored codes.
 One to four times (slowly) to indicate how many codes are registered (end).
NOTE: If no response is given, start over at the beginning of this procedure.
7. Press the transmitter button (any button on fob type transmitters) for 1 second.
NOTE: Receiver should respond by cycling door locks once. If no response is given, start over at the
beginning of this procedure.
8. Close and reopen driver’s door.
9. Press the transmitter button for 1 second. Receiver should respond by cycling door locks:
 One time to confirm operation is complete.
 Two times to signal that the code is already registered.

I just tried it several times and couldn’t get it to work. It may be my passenger side door lock. It’s a little broken and it usually works but sometimes doesn’t. But I just push the lock switch manually at the same as I press the button on the door and I’ve gotten it to beep and lock the doors in confirmation before by doing that. But I had no success today. But even when I did get the confirmation door locks it never programmed the remotes. I may try again later. Any suggestions or advice?

Needed a key for a Subaru. Used carkeysexpress.com. They came to the office, supplied a fob, cut the key and programmed it $400. 

I have thought about giving in to paying someone to program it for me, but if my car had the programming mode built in I would feel like I wasted my money. I’m also a little low on cash at the moment because of all the stuff I’ve fixed on the car. So while I could afford a $400 service I would prefer to do it myself if possible. Thanks for the idea though I’ll keep that in mind if I can’t get it to work

Thanks for the pdf that had lots of helpful info, I will try again sometime today if I get a chance. My key fob is aftermarket but it’s the same design as the original one just not original Lexus. The part number was the same as the original one too from what I found on a google search, and I have a lock, unlock, and trunk button as well as a panic button on the back. It is the fob style remote