I have a 95 LS 400 but the ignition switch locks holds key.

Should I have a locksmith fix the cylinder inside the switch or is it better to just get another switch with the key from a salvage yard to replace the whole thing?  The dealer is trying to hit me with labor for $800.00 not including the part.  What should I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Had this happen on my 95. Key would get stuck in the cylinder after parking and wouldn't turn into the OFF position. Determined it was a bad shift interlock solenoid. The system is tied to electronics in the shifter column. Basically it seemed like the part that detects the shifter in PARK was not properly triggering the solenoid in the key cylinder to release the pin. Didn't want to spend any more time on it so I deleted the shift interlock solenoid pin in the key cylinder. Car drives fine and no downsides other than the key could technically be removed while the engine is on - just don't do that and it is fine.

Do you mean the key gets stuck in the cylinder unable to turn of the OFF position? Had this happen on my 95. The key interlock system has a sensor in the shift column to detect PARK and a key interlock solenoid in the key cylinder to prevent removal of the key if not in PARK. Something in that system failed and I didn't want to deal with it so I deleted the key interlock solenoid pin from the ignition cylinder. Car drives fine and turns off fine. Only potential downside is the key could now be removed while the car is in drive - but just don't do that and no big deal.