How to get passenger door open?

Before anyone tells me to pull the handle, let me explain. (And yes, I did try the search feature and didn't find anything)

I have a 1996 ES300 and neither the inside door latch nor the outside door latch will unlatch the front passenger door. The interior door latch failed first and I thought that I would have some time to fix it, but my luck ran out and the outside door latch has failed also. 

Is there a way to get the door open without cutting open the inside door panel?

Thanks for you time.

Steve

19 hours ago, Planenut25 said:

Before anyone tells me to pull the handle, let me explain. (And yes, I did try the search feature and didn't find anything)

I have a 1996 ES300 and neither the inside door latch nor the outside door latch will unlatch the front passenger door. The interior door latch failed first and I thought that I would have some time to fix it, but my luck ran out and the outside door latch has failed also. 

Is there a way to get the door open without cutting open the inside door panel?

Thanks for you time.

Steve

It seems you’re dealing with a common problem. Let’s explore some potential solutions:

1. Check the Retainer Clip: The issue might be related to a broken retainer clip for the door handle rod. This clip can come loose and cause the rod to rattle inside the door. You can try taking off the door panel and reattaching the rod. If the clip is broken, consider using duct tape or a similar temporary fix.

2. Replace the Plastic Part: The plastic part that connects the rod to the latch can break. You can find a replacement part (often available from Toyota) and carefully install it. Keep in mind that this repair requires some patience and precision, as the space inside the door is limited.

3. Reset the Door Lock Sequence: Sometimes, resetting the door lock sequence can help. Here’s how:

• Sit in the driver’s seat and lock all the doors.
    • Unlock and open the driver’s door.
    • Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (don’t turn it, just remove it).
    • Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver’s door, lock and unlock the door five times.
    • Close the door and try opening the passenger door again

That would be helpful if the door was open. The question was is there a way to open the door without destroying the interior door panel?