Weird Problem with 2IS brakes

Upon purchasing a used 2012 Lexus IS 250, the initial issue was that the brakes needed to be pressed all the way down to function. I took the car to a local repair shop, where they replaced the master cylinder, brake booster, and front brake calipers. However, after these repairs, a new problem emerged: the brakes started skipping, gripping suddenly, and making a squeaking noise, likely from the front left side. The ABS light briefly illuminated but then went off again.

The repair shop technicians mentioned they were unable to connect the car to a computer to reprogram or reset the ABS. Consequently, I took the car to Midas for a brake inspection and diagnostic test. They discovered two blown fuses, replaced them, and successfully connected the car to a computer for a software update. Initially, they found an error code related to the ECU, not the ABS. After reprogramming the ABS, they reported no further error codes, assuring me that the brakes should be fine.

Despite this, the problem persists. The brakes continue to hold and release rapidly, accompanied by a squeaking noise when they hold. Additionally, my fuel efficiency has significantly dropped. Initially, I was getting around 19.5 MPG, but after the repairs and despite driving economically within the city, my fuel efficiency has decreased to 16 MPG. Furthermore, the brake light and TPMS light remain on consistently.

I have already spent an additional $2,000 after purchasing the car, with no resolution to the issues. Everything seems to be messed up.

I’m sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with your 2012 Lexus IS 250. Let’s break down the situation:

1. Brake Problems: It’s not uncommon for the rear brakes on the IS 250 to seize up over time, which could lead to the symptoms you described—sudden gripping, squeaking, and reduced responsiveness. The initial repairs you mentioned (master cylinder, brake booster, and front brake calipers) were aimed at addressing the initial issue of needing to press the brakes all the way down. However, it seems that the problem persists.

2. ABS Light and ECU Errors: The ABS light briefly illuminating and then going off suggests an intermittent issue. The fact that the repair shop couldn’t connect the car to a computer for ABS reprogramming is concerning. Midas found an ECU-related error code initially, but after reprogramming the ABS, they reported no further issues. However, the symptoms persist.

3. Fuel Efficiency Drop: The drop in fuel efficiency from 19.5 mpg to 16 mpg is significant. While brake issues might not directly cause this, it’s essential to address both problems.

4. Persistent Brake Light and TPMS Light: The consistent brake light and TPMS light indicate unresolved issues.

Given the complexity and cost you’ve already incurred, CoPilot recommends the following steps:

• Professional Inspection: Seek another professional inspection, preferably at a Lexus dealership or a specialized shop. They can perform a thorough diagnostic, including checking the ABS system, brake components, and ECU.

• Comprehensive Diagnosis: Ensure they investigate the ABS system thoroughly, including sensors, wiring, and hydraulic components. Also, check for any other error codes related to the TPMS system.

• Review Repair History: Share the repair history with the new technician to avoid redundant work and focus on unresolved issues.

• Document Everything: Keep detailed records of symptoms, repairs, and costs. This will help you communicate effectively with the repair shop and potentially seek recourse if needed.

Remember, safety is paramount. If the brakes continue to behave erratically, consider not driving the vehicle until the issue is resolved. I understand how frustrating this situation can be, but with a comprehensive diagnosis, you’ll be closer to finding a solution. Best of luck!