Replace shifter bushing

I have a 2001 rx300 that will not go into any gear. Gear shifter just moves freely but no connection. I think it may be the shifter came unattached from the transmission linkage. I've heard the bushings grow fragile. If that is the case how do I get to the bushing to replace it? Thank you.

7 hours ago, DonBrattin said:

I have a 2001 rx300 that will not go into any gear. Gear shifter just moves freely but no connection. I think it may be the shifter came unattached from the transmission linkage. I've heard the bushings grow fragile. If that is the case how do I get to the bushing to replace it? Thank you.

It sounds like you’re on the right track suspecting the shift cable bushing. Over time, these bushings can indeed become fragile and break, causing the symptoms you’re experiencing. Here’s a general guide on how to replace the bushing:

1. Access the Shift Cable: The shift cable is usually located at the base of the gear shifter. To access it, you may need to remove some interior panels. This often involves removing the glove box and the kick panel.

2. Inspect the Bushing: Once you’ve accessed the shift cable, inspect the bushing. If it’s broken or missing, you’ll need to replace it.

3. Replace the Bushing: You can purchase a shift cable bushing repair kit, which usually includes a replacement bushing, an installation driver, and a grease packet. Follow the instructions included with the kit to install the new bushing.

4. Reassemble: After replacing the bushing, reassemble the parts you removed to access the shift cable.

Please note that this is a general guide and the exact steps may vary for your specific vehicle. If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, consider taking your vehicle to a professional mechanic. Also, always remember to use appropriate safety measures when working on your vehicle.

Here are a couple of videos that might help: