Torque/Tightening Order for the (9) Rear Valve Cover bolts

The torque specification for the valve cover bolts on a 2004 Lexus RX330 is 9 ft-lbs. However, I couldn’t find the specific tightening order for the rear valve cover bolts in my current resources. You may be able to find an online service manual that should include what you are looking for.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RX400h said:

The torque specification for the valve cover bolts on a 2004 Lexus RX330 is 9 ft-lbs. However, I couldn’t find the specific tightening order for the rear valve cover bolts in my current resources. You may be able to find an online service manual that should include what you are looking for.

Thanks for confirming that there isn't any set tightening order.  I just did a crisscross pattern with gradual tightening all around.  I do want to note that the torque specs on that website are not accurate.  Haynes 3MZ-FE manual shows 71 in-lbs for the both front and rear valve covers.  Moreover, there was another gentleman who commented on a youtube video that he noted that the Toyota's 3MZ-FE shop manual showed 71 in-lbs also (however, I can only personally attest to the Haynes Manual which I own).  In that DIY youtube video, the mechanic relied on the website you suggested and overtorqued the valve cover bolts to 9 ft-lbs (108 in-lbs), causing one of this bolts to break!  So, I would highly suggest following more reputable sources like Toyota/Lexus service manuals and Chilton/Haynes Manuals.

Edited by LexusLover1
Adding anecdote of a failed overtorquing

Good point. I often can find an electronic version of the service manual, but there are cases when only article/video comments are found. I guess we can say that those should be taken "with a grain of salt".

Thanks for your comments.