60,000 Service

DLaxMan3

I have 92 SC400, what does the 60k tuneup entail. I have been looking at some preivious post and alot of people say not to take it to lexus because of the cost, what kind of place should I take it to that I could trust (especially for the 90k service).

First, go to the dealer. Ask for a hardcopy of the items involved in each service. They gave me the sheet and I'd type it in if I hadn't thrown it away. Use this sheet to determine which service(s) you need to specify when going to the shop of your choice. I feel perfectly comfortable letting Midas do all the brake system checkouts, etc, mostly because they do have a lifetime warranty and they have honored it. Anyone can do the filter changes and check lube points, etc. Timing belt and accessory belt are likely to be your major items, as will a tranny flush and possibly a cooling system flush, but you have a great amount of leeway in who does it, assuming you can get the parts.

Finding a place to take it for the major work is not easy, because trust isn't something that comes without experience. I will say only one thing in the dealers defence and that is they stand behind their work and their parts. If you get a third party part and have a third party put it in, you may have no recourse when the part goes bad. Its unlikely to happen, but its something to consider. In some cases, the cost difference is minimal, while in others, its downright rediculous. I found trunk lifts for less than one THIRD the price the dealership wanted. I could only save a couple bucks on an Idler Assembly though, by the time I paid for shipping. It was well worth the $45 to have the dealership put the trunk supports in, but they won't cover the work because its third party parts. The idler, however, is covered for both parts and labor for a year, while the part that I could have saved a couple bucks on only had 90 days and labor would not have been covered.

I recommend taking it to chain shops for simple everyday tasks, and letting the dealer handle anything major. Besides, at least when the dealer does it, you get a 2004/5 RX330 rental and your car is nice and clean when they're done. Oh, you can also hang out and nibble on mint sticks and drink decent coffee too =P