Airbox Cover

BillMyster

K I have 2 questions. First is if I take of my airbox cover, is it bad for th car at all? In the long run or the sort? Second question is I want to make my car sound loud and good but dont want to spend a lot of money. is there a way?

My car is 2004 Lexus IS300.

K I have 2 questions.  First is if I take of my airbox cover, is it bad for th car at all? In the long run or the sort?  Second question is I want to make my car sound loud and good but dont want to spend a lot of money. is there a way? 

What do you mean by airbox cover?

Want to make the car loud, without spending lots money, assuming you mean exhaust? Take out the resonator and weld in a straight pipe section or get a cheap Ebay bomb muffler and weld it on in place of the stock one.

You might also want to consider streaming led license plate frame, led windshield washers, some nice mud flaps and other neat things like that.

K I have 2 questions.  First is if I take of my airbox cover, is it bad for th car at all? In the long run or the sort?  Second question is I want to make my car sound loud and good but dont want to spend a lot of money. is there a way? 

What do you mean by airbox cover?

Want to make the car loud, without spending lots money, assuming you mean exhaust? Take out the resonator and weld in a straight pipe section or get a cheap Ebay bomb muffler and weld it on in place of the stock one.

You might also want to consider streaming led license plate frame, led windshield washers, some nice mud flaps and other neat things like that.

Haha. the airbox cover the the cover that goies over the airintake.

Glad you see the humor.

The clip on cover at the airbox also sorta holds the air filter in. If you take that off, you won't have any filtration. That would be a no no. Right after the filter box is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. (has some wires coming out of it). The change in flow might cause the MAF to cause a malfunction light and your car won't run right. This also happens often when people put on aftermarket intakes that change the location of the MAF, and causes lots problems.

I have found that the most bang for the buck is to install a replacement TRD filter, and then install a JoeZ intake pipe which goes between the MAF and the Throttle Body. This eliminates the big black inake tube that has all the resonator silencers in it. You'll get better air flow, less restriction, and a little louder intake sound at WOT, plus you aren't moving the MAF so no problems with getting error codes. After you do that, then reset the ECU and drive somewhat agressively for about 200 miles so the ECU relearns with the new parts and also learns "performance" driving habits.

I have done the above and it works great. JoeZ has dynoed his inake tube and got a plus 8 HP.

Anyway, that would be my suggestion for improved intake, without a liot of hassle.