Non-interference Motor/timing Belt On 94 Es 300

DKRC-2003

There was a discusssion on the LS forum about which lexus engines are non-interference motors (i.e pistons will not hit valves if timing belt breaks)

I have a 94 ES 300.

If I understand correctly, my 3.0L 188HP 4-cam 24-valve V6 Engine (with EFI) is a non-interference design.

Is this a correct statement?

The only Lexus engines that I saw that suffer from the interference design are the 4.0L DOHC and the 4.7L DOHC.

BTW, yes I am a moron when looking under the hood of my car :chairshot:

In case y'all haven't figured that out yet about me.

BTW, yes I am a moron when looking under the hood of my car :chairshot:

In case y'all haven't figured that out yet about me.

you are not even close to being a moron.

You found LOC, you participate on this site and you ask quesitons because you want to learn about your car. Does't sound like a moron to me. :)

pre 99 1MZ-FE are non-interference. They went interference with the advent of VVT-i. The "i" actually stands for intelligence but I always remeber it as Variable Valve Timing-interference.

steviej

When I was young, my dad and I played this game when he was working on the myriad of cars that we owned:

He would be underneath a car and ask me to hand him a tool (usually one that I had never heard of before)...when I brought him the wrong one, he usually chunked it at me...

I tried to never mistake a claw hammer for a spark plug socket.... :whistles:

Nevertheless, I quickly made it a point to never be around when he worked on cars...hence my ignorance today...

As far as the timing belt goes, I definitely plan on changing it before it breaks...but if it looks to be in pretty good shape, now that I know that my engine is a non-interference design, I may wait a few more months till after the xmas bills are paid off...

just updating my risk management plan...