Lowering The Rx330- Revisited

Shoof

So my GS lease is up in about a month and the wife is loving the RX330. I'm at a point where modifications are not worth the time considering she spends most of the time driving it during the day, and I use it at night or on the weekends. The mods on the GS was limited to a set of 17" wheels and ultra high performance all season tires to replace the stock POS tires that Lexus put everyone's life in danger with in driving with them in the snow. I had the tires and wheels from my previous ride, so they would have just sat there, so I figured i'd use them.

I love Lexus, always have been a fan. Heck I used to work for a dealership too(LOM in NYC).. My original intention on leasing the GS for 24 months when I did was to get the '06 GS when it comes out. Sadly, we still have to wait about 6 mos for it, and I think it's going to be more than I want to spend in it's initial introduction, so the next runner up is the RX. I don't mind the RX330 at all, based on the features and amenities in the RX, I don't lose out on the luxuries i've gotten used to in the GS, not to mention my wife is driving me crazy to convince me in buying the GS lease when it's up because she loves the car. She will take the RX though without putting up much of a fight. I wouldn't mind keeping the GS with the exception of the RWD in the snow, and the fact that the car is heavy, leads to so-so power and acceleration. I know the RX isn't much lighter or so much more powerful, but for comparison my mom's 02 RX feels quicker than the GS, even though they are very similar in power with the exception of one being an inline six and the other a V6 (there's no substitute for the smoothness of an I-6)...Geez I have so much to say, i'm just rambling..I'll get to the point..

When I was younger I always told myself I'd never get an SUV because of the increased ride height and loss of handling compared to a sedan. I used to be all about the power and handling. Then I got married.:whistles: You might think that it's an SUV, and it is meant to be higher up, but I say: Will I be going off-roading with it? NO. Do I really need the added ride height? NO. Do I want to have the confidence of making a turn as fast as I used to in the GS or any other sedan without feeling like i'm going to roll over? YES. Which leads me to the next question: Has anyone lowered their RX 330? If so, what spring did you use? I know someone mentioned in the past if anyone lowered their cars, the post was like 3-4 months ago and it didn't really get many responses from anyone that did do it.. The 3 worth considering so far are: TTE, Eibach and H&R. I have no experience with any of the brands. My last ride (Acura) was lowered with Comptech hardware and it was sweet! I always liked the look of the lowered ride height, and I think for suburban driving you don't need to be that high up. I don't need the car slammed to the ground, just a mild, subtle drop will do fine for me.

Compare the 18's in an FX 35 to the 20's in the same car with the Sport Package. My brother has a loaded FX with Sport. One look at 2 FX's side by side with 18's and 20's, the difference and look is obvious. The 18's look stupid IMHO, but he 20's stuff the wheel well nicely, giving it a nice aggressive look. I'm not planning on changing the wheels to fill in the wheel well, so the next solution would be a mild drop, which should do the trick, and improve the handling without compromising the ride much. If it was up to me, i'd also change the sway bars too, but I can't seem to find anything in the aftermarket for the RX. PLEASE Let me know!

Ed

and ultra high performance all season tires to replace the stock POS tires that Lexus put everyone's life in danger with in driving with them in the snow.

Sheesh, tell me about it!

Hey Ed, welcome to the LOC! No idea about lowering the RX330 but I do have some advice for you. First off have you really looked at the FX35? I drive RX330s all the time as loaners and my parents have an FX35. The RX330 has a nicer interior, smoother and has more space but the FX35 is just flat out an awesome car. When I got my Lexus I swore I would not drive an SUV again, the RX330 wouldn't make me rethink that but the FX35 would. Your brother has one though so my guess is you're pretty familiar with it.

Compare the 18's in an FX 35 to the 20's in the same car with the Sport Package. My brother has a loaded FX with Sport. One look at 2 FX's side by side with 18's and 20's, the difference and look is obvious. The 18's look stupid IMHO, but he 20's stuff the wheel well nicely, giving it a nice aggressive look.

Thats true, the 20s do look better but there is a huge tradeoff in ride and prowess in the snow. Check around on some of the Infiniti boards people are always complaining about the ride of the FX with the 20s and its prowess in the snow. My parents have the 18s and yeah they look kinda frumpy with the thick sidewalls but the ride is better and its better in the snow, always tradeoffs everywhere...

The FX that my brother has is primarily his, but I drive it all the time too. A part of me would get the same car that he has, but another part of me wants something different. In addition, my wife doesn't like the car as much as I do. I love driving the car, it's the most 'sports car' that you'll get in the SUV. The 20's are pretty stiff, and his car is an '03 model when it was the most stiff. Infiniti softened the ride a bit for '04. By getting the sport package in the Infiniti it adds other things aside from the 20's, most notably a sport suspension. I drove the car in the snow and never got stuck once. The 20's in the snow only make the ride more entertaining when you push the car to its limits in the white stuff..

So my GS lease is up in about a month and the wife is loving the RX330. I'm at a point where modifications are not worth the time considering she spends most of the time driving it during the day, and I use it at night or on the weekends. The mods on the GS was limited to a set of 17" wheels and ultra high performance all season tires to replace the stock POS tires that Lexus put everyone's life in danger with in driving with them in the snow. I had the tires and wheels from my previous ride, so they would have just sat there, so I figured i'd use them.

I love Lexus, always have been a fan. Heck I used to work for a dealership too(LOM in NYC).. My original intention on leasing the GS for 24 months when I did was to get the '06 GS when it comes out. Sadly, we still have to wait about 6 mos for it, and I think it's going to be more than I want to spend in it's initial introduction, so the next runner up is the RX. I don't mind the RX330 at all, based on the features and amenities in the RX, I don't lose out on the luxuries i've gotten used to in the GS, not to mention my wife is driving me crazy to convince me in buying the GS lease when it's up because she loves the car. She will take the RX though without putting up much of a fight. I wouldn't mind keeping the GS with the exception of the RWD in the snow, and the fact that the car is heavy, leads to so-so power and acceleration. I know the RX isn't much lighter or so much more powerful, but for comparison my mom's 02 RX feels quicker than the GS, even though they are very similar in power with the exception of one being an inline six and the other a V6 (there's no substitute for the smoothness of an I-6)...Geez I have so much to say, i'm just rambling..I'll get to the point..

When I was younger I always told myself I'd never get an SUV because of the increased ride height and loss of handling compared to a sedan. I used to be all about the power and handling. Then I got married.:whistles: You might think that it's an SUV, and it is meant to be higher up, but I say: Will I be going off-roading with it? NO. Do I really need the added ride height? NO. Do I want to have the confidence of making a turn as fast as I used to in the GS or any other sedan without feeling like i'm going to roll over? YES. Which leads me to the next question: Has anyone lowered their RX 330? If so, what spring did you use? I know someone mentioned in the past if anyone lowered their cars, the post was like 3-4 months ago and it didn't really get many responses from anyone that did do it.. The 3 worth considering so far are: TTE, Eibach and H&R. I have no experience with any of the brands. My last ride (Acura) was lowered with Comptech hardware and it was sweet! I always liked the look of the lowered ride height, and I think for suburban driving you don't need to be that high up. I don't need the car slammed to the ground, just a mild, subtle drop will do fine for me.

Compare the 18's in an FX 35 to the 20's in the same car with the Sport Package. My brother has a loaded FX with Sport. One look at 2 FX's side by side with 18's and 20's, the difference and look is obvious. The 18's look stupid IMHO, but he 20's stuff the wheel well nicely, giving it a nice aggressive look. I'm not planning on changing the wheels to fill in the wheel well, so the next solution would be a mild drop, which should do the trick, and improve the handling without compromising the ride much. If it was up to me, i'd also change the sway bars too, but I can't seem to find anything in the aftermarket for the RX. PLEASE Let me know!

Ed

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=607

I see TTE lowering springs thus far. I'll be honest not many have modded the RX 330 yet. I am looking though.

Ed

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=607

I see TTE lowering springs thus far. I'll be honest not many have modded the RX 330 yet. I am looking though.

Four-Wheel Air Suspension

The available Four-Wheel Air Suspension controls vehicle height, depending on driving conditions and needs. At speeds higher than 62 mph, the vehicle lowers 0.3 inches automatically (Normal mode), providing increased control and lower drag coefficient. For additional control during sport driving, you can select Low mode, which lowers the vehicle by 0.6 inches. For low-speed emergency driving on rough terrain, you're able to switch to High mode to raise the ground clearance to a full 8.3 inches. Or, for easy passenger access or loading, the vehicle will lower an additional 1.2 inches (Access mode).

That is what you can order for the RX to help with the sport.

The available Four-Wheel Air Suspension controls vehicle height, depending on driving conditions and needs. At speeds higher than 62 mph, the vehicle lowers 0.3 inches automatically (Normal mode), providing increased control and lower drag coefficient. For additional control during sport driving, you can select Low mode, which lowers the vehicle by 0.6 inches. For low-speed emergency driving on rough terrain, you're able to switch to High mode to raise the ground clearance to a full 8.3 inches. Or, for easy passenger access or loading, the vehicle will lower an additional 1.2 inches (Access mode).

I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks for a set of springs than spend a couple grand for the air suspension

Yea 1sicklex, I found the TTE's from their site, and the H&R and Eibach's from the Tire Rack..

Well to be honest, I've looked all over. You would be the first. Most all RX owners don't really mod their cars. Concerning sways, I haven't seen them for the old RX or the new one.

Like your wife, the RX won me over. It's so luxurious and really does drive like a car. Never would I figure I like an SUV. The RX 330 extended these feelings. It makes you feel like you spend more money on it than it's asking price.

At least with the new RX, you can get 18s from Lexus. I am sure anything bigger would look good but hurt the ride. The FX with 20s is pretty well known to look great but ride like crap.

Hybrid info. Now the thing is there are already 9k pre-orders and they pushed it's debut back to May 2005. But its to be the performance RX. Not sure if they included beefier sways.

lexus_rx400h_21_05_04.jpg

The world’s first hybrid petrol-electric car in the premium segment

Second generation Hybrid Synergy Drive technology delivers power and performance appropriate for a luxury 4x4

3.3-litre V6 petrol engine combines with electric motors to produce approximately 270bhp

Fuel consumption to match a standard four-cylinder saloon and ultra-low carbon dioxide emissions

Continuously variable automatic transmission

World-first application of Vehicle Dynamics Management (VDM) advanced vehicle stability control system

UK debut of production model, due for UK sale in 2005

The Lexus RX400h makes its UK debut at the Sunday Times Motor Show Live, a vehicle that is set to make history as the first hybrid petrol-electric production model in the premium car market when sales begin in early 2005.

Equipped with the latest development of Hybrid Synergy Drive technology, the RX400h offers performance worthy of a conventional 4.0-litre V8 engine, yet achieves substantial improvements in fuel economy, exhaust emissions along with smoother and quieter operation.

At the same time as the RX400h makes important advances in technology, it makes no compromises in the high levels of quality and refinement that are characteristic of all Lexus models, which have helped make the RX series a great success since the all-new model range was launched in 2003.

lexus_the_rx400h_rear_21_05_04.jpg

New Hybrid Power System

Fuel economy and low emissions have been traditional advantages of hybrid power systems. Where the RX400h is concerned, these qualities are now matched by impressive power output, too. The 400 in the vehicle’s name refers not to engine capacity, but to the fact the output can compare to that of a 4.0-litre petrol engine.

Lexus engineers have developed a hybrid system specifically for the RX400h, based on the Hybrid Synergy Drive concept used to great effect in the new Toyota Prius. They redesigned and refined the electrics, mechanical components and control elements to achieve performance levels appropriate for a luxury 4x4.

The powertrain uses a conventional 3.3-litre V6 petrol engine working in tandem with two powerful electric motors to provide an intelligent four-wheel drive system, improved low to mid-range acceleration, braking and fuel efficiency and minimised carbon dioxide emissions.

In addition to the petrol engine and the electric motors, the system also features a generator, high-performance battery and a power split device that enables power from the different sources to be combined or re-allocated according to driving conditions. The high-speed interaction of the different components in the system is governed by a power control unit.

In order to achieve higher output from the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, electrical capability was increased. Booster devices were added and a new high-speed front motor that operates at twice the speed, producing more than twice the power of that used in the Prius. Adding a rear motor enables four-wheel drive, and a newly developed nickel-metalhydride battery again produces almost double the power of that in the Prius.

The strength of the RX400h’s powertrain is expressed in a maximum output of around 270bhp, compared to 110bhp for the Prius. This gives the RX400h a top speed to match the existing RX300, but with a nought to 62mph acceleration time of less than eight seconds. More than that, fuel consumption is improved to a level usually associated with a four-cylinder family saloon.

The powertrain complies with Euro IV emissions standards and produces much less carbon dioxide compared to rival premium 4x4s with a similar power output.

Maximum efficiency, minimum fuss

Although the RX400h makes extensive use of advanced technologies, it is not complex to drive. The drive system is engaged by means of a gearlever mounted on the dashboard, operating a seamless, continuously variable transmission.

In the course of any journey, the Hybrid Synergy Drive system will operate in several different modes in order to maximise efficiency. At rest, the engine will automatically stop to conserve fuel. At times when engine efficiency is low, such as on start-up and at low to mid-range speeds, the vehicle will run on its electric motors alone, reducing exhaust emissions to zero.

lexus_rx400h_interior_21_05_04.jpg

In normal driving, power from the engine will be divided by the power split device both to drive the wheels directly and to power the generator, which, in turn, drives the electric motors. In these circumstances, power allocation is constantly monitored and adjusted between the engine and motors to maximise efficiency. When sudden acceleration is required, engine and electric motors operate in tandem, with extra power supplied by the battery to boost motor response.

Intelligent four-wheel drive

The RX400h’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system uniquely features a second electric motor to drive the rear wheels and provide electric four-wheel drive for certain driving conditions.

Controlled by the Vehicle Dynamics Management system, the four-wheel drive is automatically engaged via continuously adjusted front and rear electric motor torque, as when accelerating hard from standstill or through the gears, when cornering, or whenever a loss of traction from the front wheels is detected.

Moreover, during deceleration and under braking, the engine switches off and the electric motors act as high-output generators, driven by all four wheels. This regenerative braking system optimises energy management by recovering kinetic energy that would usually be lost as heat and storing it as electrical energy in the battery. In addition, battery power level is constantly managed by the engine-driven generator, which means there is no need to recharge the system from an external source.

Vehicle Dynamics Management

In conjunction with the new Hybrid Synergy Drive system, the RX400h has enhanced handling and driving stability thanks to its re-tuned suspension, specially designed Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the installation of Vehicle Dynamics Management, one of the most advanced vehicle stability control systems currently available.

The VDM is less obtrusive that conventional VSC systems, but is ultimately more effective. By means of high-speed "by-wire" throttle, brake and transmission technology, VDM co-ordinates control of the Hybrid Synergy Drive, the electric four-wheel drive and Electronically Controlled Braking (ECB), adjusting front and rear electric motor torque according to driving conditions and stabilising vehicle behaviour on low grip surfaces, such as snow or mud.

Flagship Of The RX Series

The RX400h shares the sleek and muscular styling of the RX300, but will be the flagship of the range riding on bespoke 18-inch alloy wheels and featuring a redesigned front grille, fog lamps and bumper. The cabin displays all the trademark Lexus values of peerless comfort, outstanding quality and driving ergonomics. Exclusive brushed aluminium trim reflects the state-of-the-art technology used in the powertrain. On the instrument panel in front of the driver, the tachometer is replaced by a power meter. The driver can also monitor the operation of the different elements in the Hybrid Synergy Drive system by means of a continuous read out on the seven-inch touch display screen on the centre console.

source: http://www.carpages.co.uk/lexus/lexus_the_..._1_21_05_04.asp

February 14, 2004

The world first hybrid Lexus RX400h 4-wheel drive SUV at the 2004 Geneva Motorshow

Its completely new hybrid system is based on the Hybrid Synergy Drive concept already used on the Toyota Prius. On the RX400h, It employs front and rear electric motors and a 3.3 litre, V6 petrol engine, which combine to produce a maximum power output of approximately 200 kW (270 hp) via continually variable automatic transmission and electric 4-wheel drive.

This gives the RX400h a comparable top speed to that of the existing RX300, but overall performance superiority (0-100kph/62mph) in less than 8 seconds. Furthermore, the RX400h boasts the lowest Premium SUV CO2 emissions in the world.

The RX400h will already be on the market during the first quarter of 2005.

lexus-rx400h.jpglexus-rx400h-tdb.jpg

source: http://www.auto-innovations.com/actu-news/051.html

• 5 months later...

I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks for a set of springs than spend a couple grand for the air suspension

Cause I'd probably be wanting to drive in the "Access mode" all the time anyway. Does anybody here know if the Air-suspension is even offered in the 400h? RX-387.jpg If not, will the lowering springs for the 330 work with the 400h?