Ps Leak

wwest

This past week I have been here in Memphis driving my brother's 92 LS. Power stearing fluid was low and Lexus parts guy was kind enough to personally top it off while reminding me that the alternator might fail if the PS leak continued.

Lexus of Memphis quoted me $850.00 to replace power stearing pump.

My shop manuals are at home in Seattle so has anyone done a repair for this and what parts do I need to buy before I begin?

I bought my '94 LS about 8 months ago, and the PS fluid was very low. I assumed it was the "Japanese Power Steering Revenge" that has been discussed so thoroughly on this forum. Curiously, after filling the reservoir with new fluid, I found that the fluid seems to very slowly disappear, and that, to date, there is no need to replace the PS system. And nothing is dripping down on the alternator.

It reminds me of the time my '72 Chevy pickup with 110 K miles was leaking tranny fluid on the ground - in '88 - in Texas, and I had a long trip scheduled to tow my boat to Cape Cod. I went to a tranny shop in Austin, Tx, and they told me I had a "severe problem" requiring pumps, gaskets, etc. $800-$1,200 bucks min. So I said "Screw 'em", bought a case of tranny fluid, drove the 1,800 miles to Cohasset, Mass with no problem, using 6 quarts. The point is-after getting home, I jacked up the truck, and found a little piece that was sticking out of the tranny-It was called a "pressure switch"-it was leaking. Went to the local Chevy dealer-had to wait 2 weeks for such an "ancient part". Cost? $14 bucks.

Keep this in mind-The PS problem is serious-But dealers love used car owners. Who seldom have a clue....Keep filling the PS reservoir until you're sure it's dripping on the alternator.

Looked everything over quite thoroughly last evening. Leak, seep, more descriptive, seems not to be mainshaft bearing seal, but out the end of what appears to be pressure relief spring area.

Anyway not enough to worry about at this time. When I get home to Seattle I'll get one from a wrecking yard and overhaul and send it to my brother.