Condensation In Headlight Cover

This is my first time to this forum, hello everyone.

I just bought my SC400 and one of the first things I want to handle is the condensation that collects in my left front headlight. If anyone has any tips (ie: removal of cover or special technque) I would appreciate it.

Michael

ps. I tried searching briefly and couldn't find anything specific.

from my experience the only way to clear that up is to buy a new one......

the condensation means there is a crack in the housing or in the moulding around it...

you might could try and find the source and put some laquer or something on it, i guess its worth a shot.....those things are pretty expensive..

i have a little condensation on one of my corner lenses, i just try and ignore it though. :lol: as its not that severe, and it doesn't bother me.

good luck

You need to put it in the oven for 8 min at 225F and then peel apart the headlight and peel off the sealant, clean it out, let it dry for an hour and then get some clear silicone calk and reseal it back up, this fixed both of mine.

You need to put it in the oven for 8 min at 225F and then peel apart the headlight and peel off the sealant, clean it out, let it dry for an hour and then get some clear silicone calk and reseal it back up, this fixed both of mine.

How do you remove the headlamp cover? Before I go and break something, maybe someone that has done it could go through it for me.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

DO NOT put a sealed headlamp in an oven, you DOPE. That would be STUPID and could lead to SERIOUS INJURY or EVEN DEATH!

OMFG :chairshot:

Try some rain-x.

DO NOT put a sealed headlamp in an oven, you DOPE. That would be STUPID and could lead to SERIOUS INJURY or EVEN DEATH!

OMFG :chairshot:

Try some rain-x.

omg, there are holes where the bulbs go into the hosuiing, it wont be sealed when its in the oven. this has been done before.

Its not a "sealed beam headlamp" like you're thinking of LOL, its just a lamp assembly with holes for bulbs like Army said. With the bulbs out all it is is a hunk of plastic.

People do this all the time. Cars haven't used sealed beam headlights in 10 years.

Rain X won't do anything as it doesn't have any cleaning agents.

Who'se the dope? B)

This is the type of headlamp used in modern cars, INCLUDING your Lincoln:

25_1_b.JPG

27_1_b.JPG

As you can see its just a big peice of plastic, when a bulb burns out you pull the bulb out of the back, replace it, and pop it back in.

THIS is a sealed beam headlamp:

raybrig6x7sbitem.jpg

Where the whole lens glass and all gets replaced like a floodlight bulb. I can't think of a US spec car made after 1997 or so that had sealed beam headlamps, really it became uncommon after 1990 or so.

LOL, what did you think when a headlight burns out on your Lincoln you go down to the Lincoln dealer and pay $400 for one of these:?

1044893601365_NPHL1015_L.jpg

No, you buy a bulb to go INSIDE it.:cheers:

THIS is a sealed beam headlamp:

raybrig6x7sbitem.jpg

Where the whole lens glass and all gets replaced like a floodlight bulb. I can't think of a US spec car made after 1997 or so that had sealed beam headlamps, really it became uncommon after 1990 or so.

Steve, the Jeep Wrangler still uses the seald beam headlight until 1999. the cherokee did the same i think.

What I did to remedy the condensation was the easy way (no baking needed). I did this procedure a few months ago and after all the rain and car washings that the car went thru, no sign of condensation.

1. Removed both headlight units from car

2. Remove all bulbs

3. Blew warm air (not hot!) thru the sockets to evaporate excess condensation usng a hair dryer.

4. Bought the best silicone you can buy at Home Depot. (GE Silicon II-black)

5. Layed out newspaper

6. Applied liberal amount of silicone and beaded it around the old mastic.

7. Wait 24 hours to cure

8. Reinstall all bulbs and and headlight unit to car

9. Viola! youre done.

I did not go the baking route beacause my units were in great condition and did not need cleaning on the inside.

In a nut shell, all I did was apply an extra layer of sealant around the old mastic.

..my 2 cents

You're right, the Wrangler does today doesn't it?

Yes they do...LOL. actually its to make it easier to replace/cheaper in case you bust one off roading.

EVERYTHING on a Wrangler is removable in less than 30 mins LOL. (sarcasim)