Power Steering Pump

I have a 95 SC4 that seems to be consuming too much Power Steering fluid (ATF-Type 4)....it will run out and be low like every two weeks, more or less....is it because the Pump is going or is it because of a leak in the cables? If it were leaking, would I see it under the car? How much would it cost from the dealer to get a new pump? (I know, I said dealer) If it's not the pump, what potential problem could it be? At the risk of being off topic, is my starter or alternator gonna die soon? I'm at 95K Miles, going to dealer at 120K miles to get my car's timing belt, water pump, and whatever else this car is gonna need to get replaced (P/S pump..im thinking and maybe starter and alternator)

It would cost about $1200.00 to replace the p/s pump at the dealer. I have also heard of people reparing them for cheaper. Do a search in the forum for repairing it. I bought the part at the dealer and am going to try and replace it myself. It cost me $300.00 to buy the part but I know someone there so I got a small discount. Is your pump making a whining noise when you turn the wheel? If not, it may just be a leak. I'll let you know how the replacement goes. I am doing it on Friday night.

thanks for the info...it does make a whining sound...and that's hwen it's low on fluid...1200 dollars is a lot of money, IMO...cuz I was quoted 850 for a timing belt and water pump..so that pushes me over 2000 for those 3 things..yikes!

I replaced the pump over the weekend and it was fairly easy. Its a time consuming job but I was able to do it in about 4 hours with some help from my Father. You have to take the aircleaner off and move the air cleaner hose to get to the pump and then you will need to get to the main pump bolts that are under the pump. Its hard to get it off but with a little effort you can get it done. I broke one of the hoses and am waiting for it to come in. I had to order it from the lexus dealer. If you can do it, it will save you about $700 in labor. Just buy the pump from the dealer if you decide to replace it instead of doing the rebuild. I found some helpful instructions from www.planetsoarer.com. Someone wrote a description of how to do the rebuild and I used this to take off the pump. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.