Q: For Those That Have Rebuilt Their Ps Pumps

sc_toy

Hey, first off let me say this is on a '91 LS400, not my SC400. But I have been going by the instructions on planetsoarer.com and I can assure you the pumps are the same (although the reserve tank is different and the pump is WAY harder to get off on the LS)...

Anyway it's out of the car, the halves are separated, and I'm trying to pull the internals out. When I took the rear half off, a spring (diaphram kinda spring!?! looks like two wishbones put together), was the first thing to come out.

The very next thing behind that spring is the rear vane plate. Part of part C in this picture...

http://www.planetsoarer.com/Power%20steeri...ernals%2004.jpg

It looks like the entire rotor housing and vane plates slide out the back but i've been trying and I don't want to damage the pump trying to get them out.

Anyone tell me how they got theirs out??? I really don't want to use brute force if I don't have to... I think this pump is salvageable.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

jzz30,

Thanks, I didn't even know there was a tutorial section before you posted that. lol....

One quick question. I reinstalled the pump in the car last night, and had no power at all in the steering (yes I purged all the air from the system, several times actually).

I installed my pressure valve backwards I think. In order mine goes...

(c-clip)-(plug)-(valve)-(spring)-(high pres. fitting)

When I mated the valve to the fitting the shiny side of the valve (with the screen in it) was the same diameter as the fitting, and the spring slid well over them so that's how I installed it. From your pictures though it looks backwards, and considering I've got now PS then I'm 99% sure I screwed up.

I think I'm just venting because this job is much harder on the LS400 and I'm getting frustrated. The sad thing is I've dropped engines, done valve jobs, honed and re-ringed, restored cars from buckets of parts, etc. and this is one of the hardest things I've ever done.... :wacko:

Aaron

p.s. On the upside there were no leaks from the rad or the ps pump/hoses in all the time I was checking. This will be a lot easier to do on my SC...