'squeaking' When Using Clay Lube

Have clayed twice now (once on my old IS, and once on my fathers Rover).

The first time, I simply used the leftover soapy water to lubricate the body - gave one panel at a time a good soaking with the soapy water, and then clayed.

This seemed to work really well, the panels were well lubricated, and the clay didn't stick or anything.

Come to do my father's, and I thought I would try the lube spray that came with the clay bar.

When I used the lube, I seemed to get a squealing or squeaking type noise.

The clay was clean, and there was no scraping or scratching happening to the panel.

If I used water on the same spot - this noise would not occur.

Whats going on here?

Is the noise a problem?

Should I use the lube spray, or stick to the soapy water?

Have clayed twice now (once on my old IS, and once on my fathers Rover).

The first time, I simply used the leftover soapy water to lubricate the body - gave one panel at a time a good soaking with the soapy water, and then clayed.

This seemed to work really well, the panels were well lubricated, and the clay didn't stick or anything.

Come to do my father's, and I thought I would try the lube spray that came with the clay bar.

When I used the lube, I seemed to get a squealing or squeaking type noise.

The clay was clean, and there was no scraping or scratching happening to the panel.

If I used water on the same spot - this noise would not occur.

Whats going on here?

Is the noise a problem?

Should I use the lube spray, or stick to the soapy water?

If you checkout the Zaino products, you'll see that they recommend using a solution of their carwash (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SGCWC&Store_Code=Z) as a lubricant for their clay. The squeaking is an indication of resistance, and while probably not doing any real harm, makes the job harder than needed. And the "clay lubricant" is much more expensive than carwash and water. And it probably isn't as good a lubricant.

The squeaking is an indication of resistance, and while probably not doing any real harm, makes the job harder than needed.

Is this 'good' resistance or 'bad'?

IE - is the resistance due to surface contamination that I should have kept on working on to remove?

By not using the lube, was I leaving crud on the paintwork?

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew,

I detail a lot of cars and use clay all the time. Use a seperate bucket and wash mitt for when you clay. Using the dirty water you just washed the car with icould have suspended particles that will cause scratches.

What I do is after I have the car completly cleaned, I start on the roof and work the clay for a long time. With clay, the time you spend poilishing the paint with it will benefit the finish and make it like glass. I usually spend about one hour claying an average car.

Previously I used the detailing spray. Forget that, takes hours extra and doesn' work as well.

Matthew,

I detail a lot of cars and use clay all the time.  Use a seperate bucket and wash mitt for when you clay.  Using the dirty water you just washed the car with icould have suspended particles that will cause scratches.

thanks Denny - but I have not been using dirty water :)

I use two buckets, and rinse the sponge in the bucket of clean water.

I have been using the 'surplus' soapy water as lube to clay with ;)

Previously I used the detailing spray. Forget that, takes hours extra and doesn' work as well.

cool - I'll stick to my soapy water.

I've used the Maguirs clay with the Quick Detailer Spray and I've also tried the clay with soapy water. I used 1/2 cap of Zaino soap in 16 oz. of water mixed in a spray bottle as they suggest. Keep spraying to keep it well lubricated. The Zaino soap works much better than the Detailer spray. I kept having a problem with the clay sticking to the paint when I used the Detailer spray. I like the idea of the spray bottle because you then know that the soap is always clean, unlike using a bucket. The paint gets really clean and smooth, but....I'm always concerned that any hard particles that get picked up by the clay might scratch the rest of the paint.

I had the same problem with the clay sticking with the spray. The clay is not easy to get off of where it sticks either. It sure makes it a whole lot easier with the soapy water. And the finish.... oh so nice, especially when you spend extra time.

Sunday, I did an ES300 for a friend of mine this weekend. She was estatic when she picked up "her baby" It was a 2000 and had never been waxed. After a couple hours of claying, another two of Maquires #1, and three hours of Collinite, that car looked like glass.

On Saturday, I did a 1999 Chrysler 300M. Nice sleek silver car.

Went to the bank this morning. Everyone is happy.