Distributor Cap And Rotors

sainikai

Hi guys,

I have found instruction on changing spark plugs and wires from LexLs. Neat step by step explanation. I was reading the threads related to tune up and found out that it is best time for me to change distributor caps and rotors since I'm changing wires and spark plugs. Does anyone has any instructions or manual on changing caps and rotors? I came across one thread and it said it is not an easy job to replace rotor and caps. This is my first time DIY for this job. :blink:

I went to lexus dealer and found out that caps were about $15 each and rotors $30 each. I could not find these parts at other auto parts store (autozone, murray's, adavance autoparts etc). Is the parts price okay at dealer or I could get better price somewhere else?

Also, few days ago I posted regarding SEC radio code since I'm going to remove -ve terminal of battery and was told to contact Lexus dealer with vin number and they should be able to get one. I asked lexus dealer regarding it and he said I have to bring the car in and have diagonis for $90. He said look in the manual under Theft Loc and it should explain how to set and reset the code. I checked the manual but there is nothing mentioned except anti theft security but NO SEC code information. Please help if you know regarding SEC code. I have Lexus premium sound radio w/o CD changer but have installed CD changer last year. :(

Thanks!

Go the the search bar, and type in radio. I know I posted instructions re the SEC code for another member. It should definitely be in your manual.

Regarding the thieving Lexus dealers charging to reset the code-If you don't know your code, you are screwed. I don't know mine, and Lexus wouldn't tell me either. However, I just changed out batteries, and didn't lose the radio. I had bought a little thingy that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and has 2 clamps-pos, neg-that I attached to the new battery while installing it. I could tell it was OK because I kept the radio on while doing the work. The thingy only cost 10 bucks at Autozone. It keeps juice going to the computer. I believe.

I have the instructions for changing out the distributor and cap. 15 pages! It was so complicated, I gave up. Don't know how to send it to you.