Replacing Es300 Bulb

I have a 2002 ES300 (just purchased) and realize my brakelight bulb in the rear window in out. I have searched this forum and have read a couple of answers on how to go about replacing it but am not sure if those ways applies to the newer ES300. One way states to pull the plastic light shield off and replace bulb, the other way mentions (I assume in the trunk) pulling the speaker out to get to the bulb. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sit in the back seat facing out the back window. grab the center stop light cover with two hands (one on each side).

1. move/slide the cover to your left as far as it will go.

2. tilt the edge closest to you up. This may stick a little so tug. Don't rip it out of there.

3. you should be able to tilt the edge closest to the window up now and then the entire cover comes up.

this is according to the 2002 ES Lexus shop manual.

steviej

Emily:

What's mileage on your recently purchased 2002 ES ?

The 4 years 50k miles basic warranty should cover your 3rd breaklight bulb, just take it to any Lexus dealership service dept. they should be able to replace it for FOC; or call them up first.

:cheers:

a.c.

Thank you Steviej and a.c.

I will follow Steviej's advice to replace the bulb. I bought my 2002 ES300 Lexus with a little over 60,000 miles on it, therefore, no warranty.

The car is in wonderful condition - previous owner put a lot of highway miles on this car in under 2 years, but followed all the maintenance tasks based on the mileage vs. the time period. I could not resist the car since it came with all the extra options (Nav, rear sunscreen, 6-disc cd changer...) and was a bargain price!

I appreciate this site and your feedback. :D

StevieJ:

Do you have any tips on how to change the headlight low beam bulb on the 2002 ES ?

I got a pair of Sylvania Silverstar '9005' but couldn't find any instructions on replacing bulbs in the owner's manual, also i not even sure if 9005 is the correct part no. for the low beam; is it something like a H7 or H6 ?

Please advise...

tks..

a.c.

StevieJ:

Do you have any tips on how to change the headlight low beam bulb on the 2002 ES ? I got a pair of Sylvania Silverstar '9005' but couldn't find any instructions on replacing bulbs in the owner's manual, also i not even sure if 9005 is the correct part no. for the low beam; is it something like a H7 or H6 ?

a.c.

the 9005 is the high beam bulb.

the H7 is the low beam buld if you DO NOT have high intensity discharge (HID) headlights.

Open the hood, and look directly behind the headlights. The low beam bulbs are the outer large bulbs, and the high beams are the inner bulbs next to the turn signals.

There is a black boot with a wire coming out of the center. Carefully work the boot off.

The 9005 bulbs actually twist in the housing and then they release. Carefully pull the bulb out of the housing and then you can swap the bulbs out. Reinsert and twist again. Slide the boot back up the wire and seat it properly to cover the bulb.

The H7 is a different story. The boot is the same so slide that off. They peer inside the back of the light housing. Look for a metal spring clip. It is hinged on one side and behind a hook on the other end. Push in and up or down to unhook the spring. Then swing the clip out of the way. This releases pressure on the bulb and then the buld can be withdrawn by pulling the wire harness carefully.

Remove the bulb, reconnect the new one, reinsert in to the housing, reclip the spring and replace the boot.

Pay careful attention to the orientation of the boot, ther should be an arrow indicating TOP. And MOST Of ALL: never touch the glass of the bulb with your bare fingers.

let me know if you need any more instruction.

steviej