Steering Wheel Swar?

majkmil

HI, I bought a steering wheel (wood/leather) from a GS, not sure what year. I want to swap it for the one on my 98 LS. How can I tell if it will fit. Looks identical. Is it easy to remove the airbag to see? Thanks

How do I get the stereo codes, do I have to go to the dealer? sorry about the mistake on title (swap)

Should fit fine but you'd obviously have to replace the airbag as well. Also don't bet on the wood matching because the GS and LS have different shades. You'll also loose the ability to control your message center which will be real annoying if you ever have a warning you want to cancel...

No the airbag is completely different. The LS' wheel is 4 spoke and the GS' wheel is 3 spoke. If its a really old GS wheel thats 4 spoke then it won't work at all because of the new generation airbags in your 98. Even if it is 4 spoke though its a different sirbag entirely. That particular wheel is shared with the LX model and the Land Cruiser. A slightly modified version of it is used on the GX, new LX, 4 Runner, TUndra, and Sequoia.

The part number is wrong then. If its an ebay listing then the seller is either misinformed or he's lying, I don't believe that Lexus part numbers differentiate the model anyway.

These cars are my hobby trust me, that wheel is from an LS430 and trust me your airbag will not fit, they are a different shape. The GS uses the same steering wheel thats in my ES, only with two slight bulges at 10 o clock and 2 o clock and perforated leather. It is 3 spoke. It also has a different series of buttons on the side. There are PLENTY of 98-00 wheels on ebay, why not use one of those it is guaranteed to fit and match perfectly.

This happens all the time on ebay, people don't know what they're selling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

Seller says the wheel is off an ES300 when its actually from a 98-00 LS400. It will not fit the ES300.

THIS is the wheel off of an ES300

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

This is its part # 45100-33463-CO that is in the proper Lexus format, the "45100" certifies a Lexus part, not a Toyota one.

Whoever sold you that wheel or is selling it is trying to scam you, or he's just an idiot.

This is the steering wheel iff of your 98 LS400

LS400017.jpg

This is the steering wheel you are trying to install, off of an LS430

33_4.JPG

As you can see the overall shape is similar, but not at all the same, its a totally different wheel. Plus you'll have the problem of wood matching as they changed the wood between the LS400 and the LS430.

THIS is the steering wheel on a GS:

473502_8.jpg

If you want a wood wheel keep looking on ebay, they pop up ALL the time for the 98-00 LS in all colors.

Thank you so much! I was able to cancel my purchase of the wheel. I will keep my eyes open for the correct wheel and see if I might get lucky. btw how difficult would it be to install a steering wheel and reuse my airbag? I know I have to disconnect the battery for the airbag and since I bought used I don't have the radio code. I read on a post that the last three #'s of the VIN were the code. Can you confirm this? Thank You M

98 Blue Mica LS400 53K

I can't confirm that but the dealer can give you the radio code pretty easy.

Swapping the wheel and re-using the same airbag will be very easy. Just make sure you have the proper steering wheel wrench tool and the proper tools for the two bolts that hold in the bag. Make sure the old wheel is centered before you remove it, mark all the connections coming off the wheel and you should be fine.

Thanks, Could you or anyone elaborate on the tools needed ie. for the airbag, and what does a steering wheel wrench look like? I Hope i'm not to much trouble. M

I think the screws that hold in the airbag are torx screws but I'm not sure. I'd swing by the Lexus dealer and see what they have to say about the proper tool.

As for the steering wheel wrench any auto parts store should have one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SWO3ES, would you or anyone who knows if this steering wheel on ebay will fit my 98 LS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...177&category=33

Thank you in advance!

P.S. The wheel does not come with the function control buttons, am I correct in assuming that I can use the ones on my wheel?