Brakes Thump On Steep Grades

pflood

I have an ongoing problem with a thumping / shudder when I apply the brakes on steep downhill grades. I have a '94 ES300. I live in Colorado where the mountain grades are extremely steep. I have replaced the brake pads with OEM pads but continue to have the problem. What is interesting is that the problem occurs immediately during braking if the grade is very steep. My mechanic mentioned that the brake rotors could be warping slightly when they heat up. The problem seems to occur before the brakes have had a chance to heat up so I don't think I have a problem with the rotors warping. I worry that I'll loose braking efficiency which is dangerous on a steep mountain pass.

I searched this forum for brake issues and saw an entry that suggested that the calipers need to be lubed if brake shudder is an issue. What perplexs me is that the brakes work great 99% of the time, no noise or shudder. I only have the problem on very steep downhill grades (doesn't matter if its winter or summer). Any ideas??

Heat builds up very quickly on steep grades. Your rotors are warping. You can have considerable loss of braking power when this occurs.

You need to change out the rotors to a different type - either slotted or slotted and drilled.

I had this same problem on my 96 Toyota 4-Runner on my last trip to the Rockies in 2002. I replaced the front rotors with slotted rotors when I got home. I have not been back to the Rockies; however, I have done considerable driving in the Smokies since that time, and the problem has not reappeared.