Hesitation Off Line

I recently purchased a 98 GS 400 w/ 80k on it. Last night I was curious to see how it launched off the line. I had it in power mode w/ the traction control off and I was expecting that if I floored it that the tires would break loose which they did'nt. I then tried putting it in L (1st gear) and still nothing. Then I tried to power break it and the wheels only spun a little. But dont get me wrong it still put me back in my seat. I also tried resetting the ecu before I tested it. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to what was wrong or if other people experience the same thing? Its just that I remeber when I was with my buddy in his GS400 he broke the tires loose like it was nothing.

I don't know about the 98 GS, but the newer GS comes with an electronic throttle, so gone are the days of squealing tires. You can punch it all you want, but if the computer thinks you are going to ruin it or you, all you will get is a steady, but fast acceleration. Believe me, I have an '03 GS Sports Design.

Stop with the rear end on some loose stones, turn the VSC off and drop it. You will break loose. I do, and mine is a 300. Did it when the tires were new and can do it now, 20K miles later. With VSC turned off, the computer doesn't care what you do with the tires. Turning off VSC also disables the traction control component responsible for keeping your tires from spinning.

FYI skymntn, the 98 and up does have electronic throttle control. Lexus refers to is as ECTS-i (Electronic Throttle Control System - intelligent).