Finding Power Source

billyng

Hi folks,

I have a 97' ES300. I want to hook up a portable GPS with the fixed power source instead of using the cig. lighter plug. I found there is a fuse panel behind the compartment that is under the steering wheel. Does anyone have the experience on how to get the power from there? I try to connect the + and - of the power cable to a 15A fuse's left and right legs, but it does not work at all.

Thanks in advance!

Billy Ng

You should connect only the positive (+) side of the wiring to the fuse panel. The negative should be attached to the metal frame of the car. Find a screw somewhere that goes into metal, loosen the screw, put the negative wire (properly stripped of insulation) under the screw, and tighten the screw. Sometimes it helps to scrape off any paint that may be between the screw head and the metal.

Be careful about the amount of power you will be drawing from the circuit. A GPS probably does not draw many amps and likely wouldn't cause any problems. The booklet you received with the GPS should list how much current it draws. It would also be wise to make sure there is an in-line fuse in the positive wire.

Remember also that some circuits work only when the car is running, e.g. radio, wipers, lighters, etc. If you want your GPS to function when the car is not running, you would want to avoid these circuits. On the other hand, using one of these circuits would automatically turn off your GPS when the engine is shut off, thereby preventing a drain on your battery.

I have a built-in radar detector that I have used in several different cars. I have always used the wiper circuit as my power source.