92 Sc 300 - 5spd - $4800 But...vibration?

TMaxxTim

I saw a very nice 5-spd Black SC 300 close to me. I REALLY REALLY like it, however there are some problems with it. The seller is an older gentleman who said the car was his son's and he bought it from his son, they are having a new grandbaby so he needs to get a car he can put a seat in.

1 - Leather Torn, not that big of a deal because finding a 5-spd SC 3 is hard!

2 - Bad vibration on acceleration and while driving in the 2000-2500rpm range. IT had the same vibration at idle that another SC300 Auto I drove had. When idling at a standstill with the hood popped there is noticable engine movement, probably contributing to the vibrations.

If the mounts are the problem, how hard are they to change?

He just recently had it serviced with new spark plugs and timing belt and everything and he said it was running GREAT after that and it slowly faded to the vibrations again.

On my 4cyl accord with bad mounts, I changed the plugs and did service on my engine adn found it ran smootly for a little bit also but slowly faded back to vibrations.

He said he wants $4800 OBO and if he doesn't get the problem fixed he's be willing to significantly discount it. I was origninally thinking I could get it to $4300 (if in good condition), but I wonder if I can get an estimate at a shop for mounts (if thats the problem), and take that off the price.

I just want to know if its safe to assume the mounts are the problem and I can get an estimate on that, or if I should pay a mechanic to find the problem. I just don't want to pay more and have him come back and tell me its the exact thing I thought it was.

The car also only has 140k, which isn't that much to me. Thansk for any opinions

It sounds like it is the mounts, one way to check is to pop the hood and have the owner gun the engine. If the mounts are bad or going bad you will see the engine visibly twist in the engine compartment.

I would make some calls to local shops to get an estimate on replacing the engine mounts AND the transmission mount (as a precaution). Then factor that into the price of the car and see if it is still a good deal.

Alright, I'll call around and see what some estimates are. Has anybody ever done this theirself? I think I saw something in the LS400 Forum that showed how somebody did it on their 95.

I don't think the timing belt is off a few teeth only because the engine runs very strong, its not weak or feels like its losing power at any gear.

Lexus dealer quoted me $800 to replace engine mounts, said there was one in there right now having the same thing done and described the same problem. Said it was $300 for mounts and $500 for labor, "there's a lot of labor". This makes it sound like it might be a problem I don't want to tackle on my own, any opinions?

Opinions? Yeah.

1) Its not something you want to do yourself.

2) There is a fair amount of work to be done.

3) Lexus will rip you off for the parts.(30% markup on already overinflated price)

4) Lexus will also rip you off on labor. Other places are just as competant, but cheaper.

For example, they want $65 for the leather cover that covers the parking brake. Not only is that rediculous, they wanted to charge me .2 hours labor! This was today, so I'm still *BLEEP*ed. I made the guy come out to the car and show him how its replaced in under 10 seconds by simply pulling it off and putting the new one on. He sold the 'part only' after that, but the markup is stupid. Need example? Struts for trunk. $150??!?! :chairshot: EACH?!? Plus $51 labor. I don't think so. Several stores sell them, specifically marked as being OEM for a 95 SC300-no spoiler, for $39.

So, considering that the engine is almost dead on identical to a normally aspirated Supra, you should be able to get new parts very easily and much cheaper. You should also be able to have them replaced anywhere they work on Supras or have a ecent general mechanic with the repair manual or experience doing the work.

Of course, you won't get the rental (I'm driving an RX330 today while my SC has is 75K service), the priority service, or be able chomp down mint sticks and sip coffee while they do the paperwork, but all those amenities don't come from thin air, they are worked into the price of repairs and service as well as the cars themselves.

Sorry for the long rant, but you asked for opinions. ;)

Yeah, good point. I'm glad I called though because it confirmed my thoughts on the mounts 100% when the guy said he had one in and described the same problem with it. The problem is finding a good shop to do the work in. The guy who has it said he had the spark plugs and belts changed in a shop down the road and said they could probably do any service needed to it now. At first he thought it was the headgasket...not exactly sure why but I know its the mounts now.

I thought changing the mounts might be as easy as putting the car on jack stands, jacking up the motor and pulling out and putting in the new mounts.

They also said they can do a "service" checkup on the car for an hours worth of labor, or $87, but they just check for leaks, check bushings, etc. Didn't really sound like anythign special thats worth $90. I can check for most of those things myself, and the other things...well I guess I'll just take a chance on it.