Potential Rx300 Buyer - Questions

AQM

The dealer that I am working with finally got in an RX300 in the color/mileage combo that I was looking for. A few questions:

1) What are people's thoughts on paying appx. $31k for a certified '02 with roughly 25k miles on it? Seems like it's in the ballpark, but in general do you think that I'll be able to get the dealer $2-3k below "sticker" price?

2) Aside from a Carfax report, what other documentation should I ask for? I'm not sure if this vehicle was serviced at my dealer (I'll find out), but assuming that it wasn't, what kind of records will they have?

3) What are the 2-3 main things I should ask or be on the look out for? I've read about the transmission issues, but I assume that may not be apparent (yet?) at 25k miles? I've never bought a pre-owned vehicle, so I'm curious as to what I should be watching out for.

4) What kind of "freebies" do you think I can get? For example, although it's not at 30k miles yet, do you think it's reasonable to have them "throw in" a 30k service check, etc.?

Thanks!!

Heya AQM,

I'm also in MA, owner of a 2001 CPO RX-300. I don't know where in the state

you're located, or if the dealer is a MA Lexus dealer. The price for 2002 sounds

ballpark ok, given the mileage of the vehicle. Certainly, do the CARFAX, but

more importantly, see the service records for the vehicle. Hopefully, the prior

owner properly maintained the vehicle. I would check if it's a lease vehicle.

Most likely it was, thus they traded for a newer model.

I also was a first-time used vehicle buyer, but I had looked at couple of

Lexus RX-300's, both private sale and independent dealers, and I was highly

skeptical on spending that kind of money, with nothing to fall back on.

As far as the "perks"---- try getting the 30K covered by the Lexus dealer

as part of the package. I had them do my 60K service at 53K, knowing it's

expensive. As far as getting more off the price---work your best deal, remembering that you DON'T have to have THAT car. You do risk someone else

picking it up, but that's the way it works.

Drop us a note--- where in MA, some of the member have good experiences

with some dealers, and some........ hmm otherwise.

Good Luck,

PharmGuy

P.S.----- I bought my out-of state, got the deal I wanted, and they got me to

drive with their license plate holder in the competitor's zone!

Just 3 weeks ago bought an 01 RX300 with 23k miles, CPO from Lexus in Dallas.

Loaded, wood wheel, no nav. $27.9K

1. Your dealer will try to get retail plus about $1K for CPO. Research retail on Kelley or NADA and work down from there. The CPO is piece of mind for an additional 3 years or 100k miles total from the day you purchase. I feel $1k premium is worth it. When you buy from a Lex dealer, they will offer you the 1 time chance for 2 additional years of warranty (I believe this is 5 years from your date of purchase and 100k total miles). I declined this $1900 offer but assume this additional warranty coverage could also be negotiable. Work them hard, shop around, try waiting until the last days of the month when salespersons are anxious to sell, and remember that while the RX300 is a great vehicle, it is no longer a current model and we may see more depreciation in the coming years.

2. CarFax for sure to check for major probs. A Lexus service record is great to have. My dealer proved that they sold this vehicle to a local owner who had all service (including oil changes) done at that dealership. No major probs or warranty issues is nice to know. If Toyota/Lexus maintenance records are not available, they probably won't have proof of other maintenance. As you probably are aware, oil changes at least every 5k miles are important for the RX you are looking at.

3. Transmission and sludge appears to be major concerns. Be wary of repeated probs that may pop up on maintenance records. A CPO vehicle should look and drive like new. Don't accept anything less.

4. I would work on possibly negotiating the additional 2 year warranty coverage or perhaps include the 30k maintenance when you reach that mileage. If you don't get 2 master remote keys (plus valet and wallet key), you should push for a 2nd master remote key. I got my dealer to give me the 2nd master key and a new set of front/rear carpet floor mats. Anything is reasonable when negotiating the purchase of a vehicle. If you don't ask for it, you sure won't get it.

Good luck with your purchase!! :cheers:

"CPO" is a sales gimmick that all car dealers use as a way to justify an inflated asking price and as a way to fool buyers into thinking the car will be reliable.

Any Toyota or Lexus will have little mechanical wear and tear if:

1. It has been driven gently

2. It has received all required scheduled maintenance on time.

Therefore, when shopping for a used Lexus, buy from private party owners (not dealers) who are middle or senior aged (aren't boy racer type drivers anymore) professional people living a upscale neighborhoods who have kept their service records and kept the car garaged most of the time and have a good reason for selling like "we just bought another luxury car and need to sell this one" or "were moving" "owner is now too old to drive" etc.

Visit cars.com to view private party newspaper ads for Lexus's across the whole country or just the ads in your local area.

• 3 weeks later...
"CPO" is a sales gimmick that all car dealers use as a way to justify an inflated asking price and as a way to fool buyers into thinking the car will be reliable.

Any Toyota or Lexus will have little mechanical wear and tear if:

1. It has been driven gently

2. It has received all required scheduled maintenance on time.

Therefore, when shopping for a used Lexus, buy from private party owners (not dealers) who are middle or senior aged (aren't boy racer type drivers anymore) professional people living a upscale neighborhoods who have kept their service records and kept the car garaged most of the time and have a good reason for selling like "we just bought another luxury car and need to sell this one" or "were moving" "owner is now too old to drive" etc.

Visit cars.com to view private party newspaper ads for Lexus's across the whole country or just the ads in your local area.

I disagree. WIth LExus CPO, the car and owner are treated as if its a new purchase. Also you get 100k and 3 year warrenty from the date of purchase. Also these vehicles have been maintained by Lexus dealers.

You can get a good private party Lexus but CPO is great.