Wrong Fluid In Suspension System

roryse

I have a 99 LX470. For the past 2 years I have had it serviced only at the same Lexus dealership with no problems. A couple of months ago I brought it to a Toyota dealer for an oil change and had the fluids topped off. A few weeks later I had problems with my suspension. It would lower on its own or when I came to a stop. It started to get worse and I brought it back to my original Lexus dealer.

They told me that the height adjustment system contained fluid that had been contaminated. I guess it is supposed to have a hydraulic fluid in it which would be very thin but instead there was an oil based fluid that was much thicker and caused these problems.

I went back to the Toyota dealer and they are denying responsiblity. They said in a letter "the suspension system reservoir is for holding fluid in reserve in case the fluid level drops. It is not a fluid that circulates from the reservoir, thus the incorrect fluid could have been added at any service and remained in the reservoir until needed." They suggested that if I want to file a claim, I would have to put every service center that ever touched the car on notice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks very much!!

• 3 months later...

The correct fluid for your suspension system IS a light oil. :geek:

Not brake fluid! :chairshot:

Even a little brake fluid will destroy all the 'rubber' components -o-ring seals, pump seals, accumulators, etc requiring replacement of those parts (and a thorough flushing.) :cries:

Even a little contamination WILL get into everything. the fluid in the reservoir does slowly migrate everywhere. :(

I've wondered about this suspension fluid. During routine 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance on my 2002 LX, my Lexus dealer told me that the suspension fluid needed to be replaced. I got a price from a local repair shop that I used to take my Landcruiser to for half the price of what Lexus was going to charge me for the fluid flush. When I went to go pick up the vehicle, I asked the mechanic if he could tell or see any difference between the old fluid and the new. He claimed that there was no visible difference in the fluids appearance, smell or touch. Of course he's not a Lexus dealer either, but it makes me a little suspicious. Is it reasonable to assume that the fluid would begin to break down at 60,000 miles?

Victor

just curious about the wrong fluid in the suspension reservoir, i have a 1999 lx 470 with a similar problem. is there any other reason that the suspension would drop like this? and how long after contamination would the suspension drop if it were contaminated? im trying to find the source of the contamination. is there a certain color that the fluid should be? how can you tell what the contaminant is. thanks for the help

steve