Approaching 90k Miles?

white ice

i have a 96 sc 300 5 speed and its got like 89,500. when you hit 90k miles, what maintenece is required? or does anyone have any links or advice for what i can do myself and what is worth getting the shop to do? also i am a big DIY'er, so if its oil/ oil filter, air filter(think im gonna throw in a K&N), tire rotation, etc. i would rather just take a saturday and get a little greasy under the hood. i have heard that the timing belts go bad around this time. any advice or tips would be highly appreciated.

My car is getting its 75K done on Monday (95 SC300 5-speed). Normally, the timing belt, spark plugs, oil, and such are replaced. If you havent had these done yet, then they should be. Mine were done at 60K, so I dont need to worry about it. Normally, the whole 75K maintainance costs $1100, but you can take off what you dont need (like transmission oil flush =P) or what you've done yourself and they will reduce the price, or at least that is what my dealership is doing. Because mine has already had so much done, its going to be less than half the normal cost. If you'd like I can get a list of everything they do for this milestone. I cant help you for 90K, but if the 75K has been done, there really shouldnt be anything significant.

It should say in your owners or service manual. Here's what's off the top of my head...

5k ($50)

- change oil and filter (I prefer synthetic)

- check all other fluid levels (trans, diff, coolant, fan, ps, pb, etc.)

25k ($150-200)

- change air filter (only $20 CDN from toyota for the MKIV supra turbo)

- I'd change trans fluid at this time (why not?) and clean trans filter

- check sepentine belt

50k ($50+-)

- flush and fill PS system, clean screen under solenoid (dex III)

- flush and fill brakes with Ford Dot3 (550 deg)

- flush and fill clutch if applicable (ford dot 3)

- change diff fluid (redline, or amsoil, must be LSD specifc, not gearoil)

100k ($300-1000, diy or dealer)

- change timing belt, water pump and thermostat

- flush and fill with toyota red (long life) coolant

- change spark plugs w/new denso units

- change fuel filter

Some of this might be overkill, and it might be way different that the service manual, but I didn't get 450,000 km out of my camry by accident. Prices are rough guesses. Obviously the 5 k service also falls at the same time as the 25 k service, which falls at the same time as the 50 k, etc etc.

So the 50k service should cost about $300 in parts, the 100k service could be done for $600 or so if you DIY.

But when you think that 100,000km costs about $10,000 in gas, and over that in insurance, and close to that in depreciation.... $600-1000 for maintenance is nothing to ensure you get to go another 100,000.... :D

Aaron

change diff fluid (redline, or amsoil, must be LSD specifc, not gearoil)

I recently changed the diff fluid (first time ever after some 200K miles on my 95 SC :blushing: )

but think it was gearoil that the guy at the shop used.

What bad would it do to the car if gearoil is used?

Thanks,

change diff fluid (redline, or amsoil, must be LSD specifc, not gearoil)

I recently changed the diff fluid (first time ever after some 200K miles on my 95 SC :blushing: )

but think it was gearoil that the guy at the shop used.

What bad would it do to the car if gearoil is used?

Thanks,

I'm not sure if every SC has an LSD, if you don't then gear oil is fine. If you do, then gear oil won't allow the clutch packs (if it's a clutch type LSD) to grab properly, negating any limited slip effect.

If you've got your original owners manual, have a look and see what type of fluid they recommend for it.

HTH,

Aaron