Quick Engine Oil Question

simcom

Hello guys,

I was reading a lot of engine oil posts and now I have no idea which one should I choose. Please do not send me to the other post to read, because I red them all yesterday + everything on planetsoarer.com

First of all I would like to say that I live in Poland. My climate is different than yours in US.

In winter we have snow and sometimes -20 Celsius degrees (most of the time 0 and below). In summer we have sun, rain, sun, sometimes is hot sometimes is cold - inbetween 15-38 Celsius degrees so U can see that I have all weather conditions...

My LS in an import from US. (1990 model). Most of U uses 5W30 Mobil1. I have a sticker on my oil cup with 5W30 also but this oil is really hard to find in Poland or almost impossible. I saw somewhere castrol TXT softec 5W30 but I really dont want it. At the moment I have no idea what kind of oil is in my car, previous owner also has no idea. He had this car only for 700 miles...and than he bought SL55 AMG....

My mileage is 159k miles.

So my "quick question" is:

What kind of oil and which one should I use???Synthetic, MIneral??? Is this possible to USE Valvoline VR1 racing oil 5w50??? I have no leaks at present.

I have to choose only between Castrol (softec TXT, GTX magnatec - but no 5w30...), MOBIL1 (but there is no 5w30/ 10w30), Valvoline ( syn power 5w30, VR1 5w50???)

I really need help with this and appreciate any aswer.

Thanks

Yes, it is popular but only U in US or Canada have mobil1 5w30. There is no Mobil1 Oil in Poland. I have to stick with 5W50 Mobil1. What do you think about this?? Will this do the job???

Come on guys!!!!!!!! 47 views and only ONE reply??? Something must be wrong....

I use to use Castrol syntec 5W 50 synthetic oil in my older, high mileage GM cars (Olds Delta 88 & Buick Riviera). I liked the 'thicker' oil for the higher milage & it still had the '5W' grade for cold weather (like I mentioned before we have much the same weather conditions as Poland here in Canada). It dosen't necessarily have to be Mobil 1 oil, although it's one of the best available. Give it a try in the 5W 50 grade & see how the car performs......you won't do any damage to the engine even with the slightly thicker oil.......the only drawback is you might have a little bit worse fuel economy but not much. B) How much is a litre of 5W 50 oil in Poland? :unsure: Just courious. :)

:cheers:

hmm, lets see... something about 10 US $ for 1L. All these prices are funny when I compare them to US prices...in US. It really looks like everything there is cheaper...especially gas...heh, here we have 1$ for 1L of gas... isnt this funny??? :( grrrrrrr So funny I could cry...

I can also buy castrol TXT softec 5w30 but this oil is more expensive and I saw how it looked like when it was taken out of the car... black *BLEEP*...So i really do want to avoid using this oil in my LS. There is also 5w30 valvoline synpower... what do you think about this oil???

Today I found a mobil1 sticker which seems to be from my LS - and it says 5w50 mobil1 - so it should be ok... , or should I use synpower???

Did you say that 5w50 can decrease my gas mileage??? UPS, my gas mileage is awful low...260miles per tank in the city... I hope this is because my o2 sensors are bad...not because of oil...I did full tune-up, only sensors left to change...

Yes if you use an oil as thick as 5W 50 your gas mileage will decrease slightly but not terribly bad. The Valvoline synpower is good stuff as well......why not try the 5W 50 first, see how it is for an oil change & move to the Valvoline & see for yourself if there is any difference. Are gas prices in Canada are in the .80 - .90+ for a litre for gas so we feel your pain as well...... :( Change the 02 sensor(s) which should improve things nicely & make sure your tire pressure is at the correct settings which ALL should improve your gas mileage. Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

I am using Regular Castro 5W30 for my 1996 SC400, approaching 90K mile! I travel 104 miles back and forth to work everyday; getting 23-24 mpg (travelling mostly highway at 80mph). I do oil change every 3000 miles with OEM filter! In my opinion, regular oil is OK as long as it get change every 3000 miles (stick to the brand names). As the matter of fact, I rather use regular oil and change every 3000 miles than use Synthetic and change every 5000 miles. Synthetic oils are just overprice and maybe even overhyped; I put over 50k miles a year on my cars. My old Honda Accord is still running fine with over 250K miles using only regular oil at 3k interval (gave to the little brother). Some people are very sensitive when it come to oils; I say used whatever you could afford (or find).